Photo

Musical Instruments(learning, playing, composition, improvisation)

music composition instruments improvisation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Roman510

Roman510

Coral Beach Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • IGN:Taurus
  • Class:Mercenary
  • Level:323

Hello tricksters :) 

I haven't talked to many people about this and thought I might be able to start something here. 

Aside from playing trickster, does anyone here play any instruments, one or many? If so, what do you play and if you'd like to share- what does playing that instrument mean for you? How does it impact your life? 

What kind of music do you like to play? Do you improvise or think about writing your own music? 

For me, I play just the piano and have begun improvising since last year. I love many composers and learn some of their music and am growing in skill to be able to play more of it down the road, but I spend most of my time improvising my own music. I do this because I feel like I can express myself through music more than I can through words, and I can express myself whenever I'm able to play, and can't always talk to someone or feel heard when I do, so I shout into the keys as a way to unload my thoughts and also to discover more about myself in the process. I've been improvising for a little over a year and learn something new every time by just letting my feelings flow through my hands, I started just bashing some random keys and as time progressed I was able to play things that were musical and am starting lessons soon to learn theory and technique. I have a long way to go before I can confidently compose a piece, but one day I would like to write a lot of music! 

Feel free to share any thoughts or recordings you might have here. I know trickster and music aren't all that related but I don't have many people I can talk to it about or share my passion with so thought why the hell not haha. I'm curious to see how many other players are also passionate about music :) 

If you'd like to listen to one of my improvs here is a video, it's a little long because I have trouble making things short haha. https://www.youtube....h?v=lmzzCuYJTdM

Lys

Lys

Selfie Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • IGN:Lys
  • Class:Witch
  • Level:33x

I play the piano as well :)

Classically trained. I specialize in specifically Chopin's pieces since he's my favorite composer. I reached maybe grade 12 before I quit lessons but I've been playing here and there. If anything I prefer to transpose music instead of improvising or composing. Learning songs by ear and putting in on music sheets is really fun to me :)

• Roman510 likes this

Posted Image

Roman510

Roman510

Coral Beach Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • IGN:Taurus
  • Class:Mercenary
  • Level:323

That's cool Lys :) What kind of grading scale goes up to 12? I can also imagine how fun it would be to be able to hear a piece and write out the music! You could even revise some of it if you wanted to! Liszt did a lot of that. 

What do you like the most by chopin? Chopin is one of my favorite composers too and I'd love to play his later works eventually. But right now without lessons I'm probably around grade 5-6 and can only play a couple of his easiest nocturnes. I'd really love to play his polonaise eventually though. 

My favorite composer is Liszt but I'm a ways away before I can play my favorite music by him :( 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, composition, instruments, improvisation