Ran

Seeker of the Arcane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • IGN:Lyzan
  • Class:Dragon
  • Level:-3

Hies, I'm just (re)starting in the server (after playing a little bit years ago). I'm pretty newbish in TO in general, mostly having tried a bunch of characters at low level, never really got too far.

So I wanted to make a Wizard, mostly cause I like the elemental spells but I'm really not a fan of Sheep looks :P But also I think it'd be fun to have three elements rather than just 1 or 2 you'd get going pure. I know people generally choose Witch cause it's easier to level, but I'm willing to put up with it for the sake of looks.

So anyway, specifically what I wanted to do was a Dark Wizard, and it seems most guides are for Light. I don't really know which 2 Sheep elements to choose though, so I need help with that too. I don't really care about PvP since I barely even saw half of the game content to begin with, so I'm more interested in exploring, questing and bosses.

Firstly I was wondering about the graph build. I'm not sure between the standard 1432 or 1441. Would 1 in Charm be way too risky for a non-Light dragon? Also I don't really have funding or anything, let alone MyShop. Is it even viable at all to go 1441 in that situation? Also, does it make that much of a difference at high level? I rather have a harder start and not be weaker in the end.

Then about elements, well, I really don't know what each one is good at. Like I said I'm mostly interested in PvE and bosses. Though being SOMEWHAT decent at PvP at high level would be appreciated. I don't wanna completely shut myself out of it forever. What could be a good combination for that?

Alright, that's all for now, thanks in advance.

Posted Image

Khloebunni

Khloebunni

Fallen Khloe - Game Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Locationtwitch khloebunni
  • IGN:Queen • Khloë
  • Class:Streamer
  • Level:400k
To start off, Dark Hybrids aren't as popular due to their inability to use Dark Attribute to increase skill damage. Only Scythe and Staff of Agony (3rd Job Dark Lord skills) have formulas that calculate in Dark attribute. That might account for the non-existence of guides. You can still use other attribute types to boost the sheep skills, but then the dark skills won't be as effective. You could also ignore attributes and just stack MA, which is probably what I would recommend.

As far as build and point allocation, they don't mean as much compared to the equips you have. Not having Myshop to fund a character makes the build slightly more important, but whether you go 1414, 1441, or anything in between, it's going to be your gears that make or break your character. Equipping a few HP equips on a 1441, or a LK equip or two on a 1414 will make up for whatever you lack. You could also go 1441 Pure HP, or 1414 Pure LK to make up for it too.

For elements in PvE, anything goes. Air/Earth, Elec/Fire, and Elec/Water are the most popular, but if you have the right gears, you can make any combination work. In my opinion, Earth and Water really don't hold up to the other three.

As a personal note, I'd really suggest a Light Wizard, over a Dark one. Shield of Heaven and Light Shield really make PvE a walk in the park, Radiant Strike is one of the most solid skills in the game, and all that extra MA/LK/Attribute you get (because you're not concerned with HP) is a really powerful boon. And you'd almost certainly want to be 1441 for that. BUT! That's totally your call c:

Hope all that helps! c: GL!!~
  • Bongohead likes this
Posted Image

~. Honor and respect one another .~

LordGahnome

LordGahnome

Rose Garden Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • IGN:BuffyBuffIsBuffy
  • Class:Boofaloo
  • Level:322

For elements in PvE, anything goes. Air/Earth, Elec/Fire, and Elec/Fire are the most popular, but if you have the right gears, you can make any combination work. In my opinion, Earth and Water really don't hold up to the other three.

lol? Um, Khloe you said Elec/Fire twice. I'm not sure if my internet sarcasm senses are just out of whack, buuuuuuuutttttt, I think that fire, earth is viable if you're willing to work with it. Of course, you could also do elec/water for a more damage-oriented build, but that's something I've never much cared for. Like Khloe said, it's totally your call on this, but a Light Wizard would really shine (hehe) over a Dark Wizard in PvE especially. If it's something that you're just really interested in trying, go for it, but if you're looking to make a really good PvE character, I recommend light as well.

Have a nice day!~

Ran

Ran

Seeker of the Arcane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Hmm, well I was kinda worried I'd be told that. It's just that Light seems... boring, honestly. It's everywhere, it's mainly defensive from what I know, and it just feels like jumping on a bandwagon. Is there really no advantage to Dark over Light? Is it simply poorly designed or is Dark just meant for some other very specific role or something?

Also, I might add I tend to take my time with the leveling, so it's not like I'm gonna be 3rd job anytime soon, which means the 2nd job is pretty important to me. How do Light and Dark Magicians compare for leveling? Which is faster, easier, more fun, whatever.

About compounds, yeah I really know little to nothing about elemental compounding. Just getting MA sounds much simpler so it doesn't sound too terrible, lol. What do Light Wizards or even Sheeps normally get anyway, having two/three elements?

Edit: Oh, I forgot. I really like AoE killing. So considering that, which elements would work well for it? It doesn't need to be ALL AoE of course, but you know, something decent.

Posted Image

ckel

ckel

Caballa Relics Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Edit: Oh, I forgot. I really like AoE killing. So considering that, which elements would work well for it? It doesn't need to be ALL AoE of course, but you know, something decent.

IF you like aoe then go sheep and use earth/wind or fire/electric elements. 

Ran

Ran

Seeker of the Arcane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

IF you like aoe then go sheep and use earth/wind or fire/electric elements. 

Well, like I said, I would go Sheep but I really much rather the looks of the Dragon. I can deal with having to wait more until I can do that, that's why I decided on Wizard.

I've seen that Earth has a massive AoE and it really interests me, but apparently it's the only good Earth skill. Wind has a really fast one I think, but doesn't look like the size is great, and dunno what other skills it has. I know Electric has that lightning ball that splits, but that's about it. And no idea about Fire at all, what kind of AoE does it have?

Posted Image

ckel

ckel

Caballa Relics Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Well, like I said, I would go Sheep but I really much rather the looks of the Dragon. I can deal with having to wait more until I can do that, that's why I decided on Wizard.

I've seen that Earth has a massive AoE and it really interests me, but apparently it's the only good Earth skill. Wind has a really fast one I think, but doesn't look like the size is great, and dunno what other skills it has. I know Electric has that lightning ball that splits, but that's about it. And no idea about Fire at all, what kind of AoE does it have?

Then go Light > Learn Light Wave / Radiant Strike (TM - 115/120) until 3rd job then decide what element or go Priest for 2 more aoe. I wouldn't suggest going Dark because it has only 1 AOE at 2nd job with 15 seconds cooldown, plus you need to be well equip when going Dark Mage/Lord 

Nomi

Nomi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • IGN:Nerist
  • Class:Dark Witch
  • Level:400

Hmm, well I was kinda worried I'd be told that. It's just that Light seems... boring, honestly. It's everywhere, it's mainly defensive from what I know, and it just feels like jumping on a bandwagon. Is there really no advantage to Dark over Light? Is it simply poorly designed or is Dark just meant for some other very specific role or something?

Also, I might add I tend to take my time with the leveling, so it's not like I'm gonna be 3rd job anytime soon, which means the 2nd job is pretty important to me. How do Light and Dark Magicians compare for leveling? Which is faster, easier, more fun, whatever.

About compounds, yeah I really know little to nothing about elemental compounding. Just getting MA sounds much simpler so it doesn't sound too terrible, lol. What do Light Wizards or even Sheeps normally get anyway, having two/three elements?

Light is more for beginner players, while Dark is more for advanced players.

Light [Build: 1441]

• Shield of Heaven (blocks all physical and magical attacks)
  • High DP/MD 
  • MA focused

Dark [Build: 1414 or 1423]

• Dark Barrier (reduces damage taken by physical attacks and reflects a portion of it back at the attacker)
  • High damaging skills
  • MA/HP focused

Dark is more powerful than Light, but Light will almost always outshine Dark if you don't have the right equipment for that path. I'd say that that's one reason why Dark isn't anywhere near as popular. Both paths are good in PvE, but Light has it easier in the early stages. Dark is a late bloomer, but with patience can outdo Light in every way.

On elements: Fire/Electricity has the most AoE/DoT skills, and is generally considered to be the strongest. So this would probably be your ideal choice.

Ran

Ran

Seeker of the Arcane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Light is more for beginner players, while Dark is more for advanced players.

Light [Build: 1441]

• Shield of Heaven (blocks all physical and magical attacks)
  • High DP/MD 
  • MA focused

Dark [Build: 1414 or 1423]

• Dark Barrier (reduces damage taken by physical attacks and reflects a portion of it back at the attacker)
  • High damaging skills
  • MA/HP focused

Dark is more powerful than Light, but Light will almost always outshine Dark if you don't have the right equipment for that path. I'd say that that's one reason why Dark isn't anywhere near as popular. Both paths are good in PvE, but Light has it easier in the early stages. Dark is a late bloomer, but with patience can outdo Light in every way.

On elements: Fire/Electricity has the most AoE/DoT skills, and is generally considered to be the strongest. So this would probably be your ideal choice.

Well I think you just convinced me against all suggestions with one sentence there, lol. "Late bloomer" is right up my alley. Like I said I don't mind a harsher start if it pays off in the end, and sounds like that's exactly what Dark does. Just like I mentioned I take my time leveling, that also means I have patience for this sorta thing. I don't mind a sub-par performance at first since I'd level slowly with anything anyways, lol. I take my time exploring all quests, trying to get good gear for every level, etc.

My only real worry is MyShop, since I may or may not be able to get some of that. Mostly because of where I live, not many payment options. Though I think I read that this server has a way of getting MyShop stuff just with in-game currency, somehow, right?

About elements, Fire/Elec sounds nice actually. What about Fire/Earth? That Cleaving Terra thing really attracts me, but I read somewhere that it's a bad combination for some reason. I don't even know what Fire does anyway, I just remember liking the animations, lol. Wind really has the most boring ones so that's why I'm kinda avoiding it.

Posted Image

Nomi

Nomi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWashington

My only real worry is MyShop, since I may or may not be able to get some of that. Mostly because of where I live, not many payment options. Though I think I read that this server has a way of getting MyShop stuff just with in-game currency, somehow, right?

About elements, Fire/Elec sounds nice actually. What about Fire/Earth? That Cleaving Terra thing really attracts me, but I read somewhere that it's a bad combination for some reason. I don't even know what Fire does anyway, I just remember liking the animations, lol. Wind really has the most boring ones so that's why I'm kinda avoiding it.

I don't play it, but looking at the market section around here, that seems to be accurate. In which case, it will be even easier to build a good Dark hybrid.

Earth

• Overall weakest element
  • Has AoE but not DoT
  • Really only has one useful skill (Cleaving Terra)

Fire

Wind

• Average element
  • Fast casting skills
  • Great for grinding, but is generally bad in other areas

Khloebunni

Khloebunni

• Members
  • 369 posts

I'm biased lol, since Lightbery and Flarebery are both Light Mages. I don't know Nomi's position, but as a 400 Dark Witch, I'm guessing they feel the same way, but towards Dark. If you have the patience and the gear, you can make either work - if you feel like you want to go Dark, then definitely go for it c: I'd recommend using both Light and Dark though, at some point. 2nd Job Dark skills really pack a punch (and outdo every 2nd Job Light skill damage-wise), and Light's defensive buffs let them focus on getting even more MA (to help compensate for their weaker skills).

Khloe you said Elec/Fire twice.

Fatigue does cool things, no? Fixed.

Dark ... with patience can outdo Light in every way.

With the exception of survivability, definitely.

Posted Image

Nomi

Nomi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWashington

I'm biased lol, since Lightbery and Flarebery are both Light Mages. I don't know Nomi's position, but as a 400 Dark Witch, I'm guessing they feel the same way, but towards Dark.

With the exception of survivability, definitely.

I do not, actually. What I'm saying is from experience.

I had a Light hybrid (level 350) back on the official global server as well as a Dark hybrid. Shared the same gear for the most part, except that my Light hybrid was more MA oriented. Even still, my Dark hybrid was better in every way. What my Light hybrid could do, my Dark hybrid could do better. This includes PvP.

Light hybrids having more survivability may be true in the early stages or if you don't have the right gear, but for endgame, that's actually far from the truth. A level 400 Dark hybrid with, say, 100,000 HP and 2,000 MA versus a level 400 Light hybrid with 20,000 HP and 3,000 MA will live longer in most situations (including PvP).

People overlook Dark Barrier because it doesn't block incoming attacks like Shield of Heaven does. What it does is actually better, and here's why:

Dark Barrier (PvE)

• Reflects 36% of all physical attacks
  • Reduces damage taken from physical attacks by 36%

Dark Barrier (PvP)

• Reflects 50% of all physical attacks
  • Reduces damage taken from physical attacks by 50%

This essentially means that when hit by physical attacks you have 36% more HP in PvE than what you actually have, and in PvP you have 50% more. You always have that boost when you have Dark Barrier up, no matter your stats (although you do need a minimum of 188 MA for the full boost).

Shield of Light (PvE/PvP)

• Relies on MA to basically give you an extra bar of health
  • The more MA you have, the more HP that bar has

This means that you can simply stack MA and only MA. You need no other stat. You can become a wall of steel with a massive amount of MA. But what people often don't think about is that when that shield is broken, you're going to immediately die if you don't have the HP to back it up. And that's what people do. They stack MA and don't give a second thought on HP.

Dark Barrier will never break, and it lasts nearly three times as long. Shield of Heaven can be re-casted every ten seconds, but it can also be easily broken in far less time.

But what largely sets Dark Barrier apart from Shield of Heaven is the fact that the amount of reflected damage is dealt straight to your attacker. This is especially deadly in PvP. Those pesky rabbits hitting you for 100,000 damage? Equip yourself with Dark Barrier along with at least 50,001 HP and you can survive their attack. Meanwhile, they are likely now seeing stars.

Khloebunni

Khloebunni

• Members
  • 369 posts

@Nomi: I understand what you are saying, and I also speak from experience. I don't agree with the majority of what you said, but I also don't have the energy to debate each point. Somebody else can jump in and go for it if they want.

Posted Image

Merm

Merm

Coral Beach Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • IGN:Fumihiko/Shuri
  • Class:Priest/Gambler
  • Level:22x/17x

Shameless plugging my Dragon guide here :P http://board.playtri...t-combinations/

Anyway, while I can't speak for PvP, sorry, in terms of PvE, I'd say Light Hybrids are more "late bloomer" in style than Dark Hybrids, at least up to 3rd Job. 2nd Job Dark Offensive skills are useful straight off the bat - you will be using Hellfire+Wicked Flame a lot, while the first useful offensive Light skill you wil acquire is Radiant Strike, and you'll most likely get it after the trials. (Light Arrow is pretty wasteful on Hybrid Dragons, I don't recommend getting it.)

Obviously, Light Dragons have it easier than Dark Dragons once the trials begin because Shield Of Heaven is just all round great in PvE. But as for the journey up to it, in terms of 2nd Job Levelling, Dark Hybrids have a much smoother ride.

Buildwise, for a Dark Dragon, I recommend going either 1432, or 1441. Unless you have really good gear, going less than a 3 in Sense is hard because Dark spells are quite inaccurate.

In terms of Elemental Combinations, I'd say the best fit for your preference in Bossing, PvP, and AoE killing, is Fire/Electric. Electric has the popular AoE Electro Attack with the nice shock effect, and Fire has that spiffy new DoT AoE Scorching Earth. Water/Electric is another good bossing combination, mostly because Shard of The Glacier has great synergy with Electric. Also, Thunderbolt helps to bypass Bossing resists in both combinations.

Mains: Fumihiko - 22x Priest | Shuri - 17x Gambler | MiharuMidorikawa - 11x Wind/Earth/Melee Bard

To Create: Merm - AP Cat | ClearSeragaki - Scientist in training | Ryuuren - Dark Hybrid remake from eTO

Ran

Ran

Seeker of the Arcane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

I think I made up my mind (more or less). I'm going 1432 Dark, cause I really don't have squat for starting gear, and 100% more HP, DP and HV sounds better than 25% more LK. I know how brutal this game can be in terms of damage. Plus I can just comp more LK and need less HP. Seems that Charm overall is more useful than Sense, given DA and WT make no difference in combat.

As for elements, Fire/Elec is what I'm leaning towards, but I have plenty time to decide on that still :P Cleaving Terra really looks cool but I don't think it's worth getting a whole element just for one skill, meh. My main concern left now is skill requirements. I know Mana Arrow and Arrow Rush are the one real choice for 1st job, but I know some elemental skills require Mana Ring or Mana Storm. I can probably just get em later if I need them, but it'd be nice to have em earlier to help leveling if I know I'm gonna need them later.

@Merm

Yeah I actually have your guide open in another tab :P Really useful, closest thing I found to a specific guide of what I wanted. And I was surprised when I saw the date, all guides around are from a year back or more.

Posted Image

asnoobasme

asnoobasme

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationMy place is placeless, my trace is traceless. No body no soul I am from the soul of souls
  • IGN:Sasha
  • Class:sheep
  • Level:1

Good luck with your dragon, no matter what unorthodox build you go for, just enjoy the game. I saw a sheep called DarkVerse, a melee 4411 pure ap sheep whos lvl 320+. Just play your char with 100% confidence :D

She's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire.                        charmander_gif_by_dragon93_scales.gif

Ran

Ran

Seeker of the Arcane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Alright, I think I'm settled, thanks everyone for your help.

Posted Image

Proxy

Proxy

Black Swamp Explorer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • LocationRiviera
  • IGN:N/A
  • Class:Norm MacDonald

A Dark Wizard? Whoa...someone is actually going down that path. I need to sit down.

Also, I'm quite disappointed in the bad reputation Earth has been getting. Cleaving Terra is not the only good skill; Deadly Fen is also an AoE that does more damage than Terra, but it hits 2 targets less naturally (once mastered.) It also gives more exp based off of your MA (I've said this sooo many times, but no one believes it. I'll probably have to video it instead.) As for Boulder and Cloud: Boulder--I admit--is not that great; it's more a utility than a offensive mechanic. You would only need it for showing off a giant rock falling straight out of the air (?) with an odd red ribbon thing wrapped around it (?). It is the strongest of the four Earth skills for Bards, but one of its drawbacks is that it acts as Mana Ring; a slower but stronger Mana Ring.

For Cloud, it's screwed up in so many ways. You don't need it unless you want to halve someone's DP & Gun DP damage received in half...because that's exactly what it does.

Overall, Earth is best fit for Soul Masters, but there are one or two Earth Wizards I've seen recently who aren't doing too bad with it.

Anyway: Good choice. It always makes me feel good to see others finally try something most people don't even consider.

Posted Image

Nomi

Nomi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWashington

I think I made up my mind (more or less). I'm going 1432 Dark, cause I really don't have squat for starting gear, and 100% more HP, DP and HV sounds better than 25% more LK. I know how brutal this game can be in terms of damage. Plus I can just comp more LK and need less HP. Seems that Charm overall is more useful than Sense, given DA and WT make no difference in combat.

Only compound LK on your rod/staff. Never compound LK on anything else unless you need to, or can't compound MA/HP. PvE doesn't require a lot and most (if not all) of it should come from the base on your equipment.

Ran

Ran

Seeker of the Arcane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

@Proxy

Haha, thanks. I have a bit of an anti-bandwagon mentality. I try to be original with my characters as long as it stays reasonable (A.k.a. not totally screwing my efficiency just for the sake of being different). And you're making me reconsider Fire/Earth. I mean not only I like Cleaving Terra functionally, but also aesthetically. I think it looks really cool. And from what I read Fire/Elec is one of the most common combinations, and I'm not that happy about that, haha. But dunno, I'll think it over time I suppose. Too bad Earth/Elec is not an option cause that's something I'd like to try.

@Nomi

I dunno if there's any rules for compounding, as in "this stat only can be compounded on this type of gear" or whatever, but I get that MA and HP should be a higher priority over LK, yeah. I was just saying how someone going 1441 would probably need to try and get even more HP, but also could afford to get less LK from compounding. But dunno, maybe they end up getting the same gear and one would simply survive more and the other miss less.

(On a side note, did you just make a new account or something? Cause it says you have 4 posts and all 4 are in this thread, lol. Just curious.)

Posted Image