Melee Magic Types

I.     Preface/Introduction
II.    Builds (Build?)
III.   Stats, Attr, & SoH
IV.   Comparison
V.    Pure vs Hybrid
VI.   Conclusion + tl;dr

I. Preface/Introduction

In eTO and at the beginning of rTO, I played Pure AP Dragons. A lot of my friends both back then and these days asked how I went about it. Seeing that there wasn't a guide to this particular subclass, I decided I would set aside some time and talk about it. I really love finding odd builds in games and the AP-Mage in Trickster is one of my favorites.

When building Magic type characters (Dragons or Sheep), you hear most people talk about putting points into MA, LK, and/or HP. It is not very often that you hear about putting all of your points into AP. And generally, you'd be wrong to put points into AP; it does nothing for what a lot consider to be the most powerful offensive Magic skills in the game. That said, Magic types have certain abilities and characteristics that let them use AP (and other Power stats) in ways other classes can't. In the guide, I will explain how a Magic Type character can use these stats.

1. While there are effectively two builds for AP use, I will be focusing on the Melee AP-Mage and not as much as the Caster-Type (Bubble Mage?).
2. It should be noted that this is largely a PvE Build. Melee in PvP without stuns and Berserk is generally far less effective than skill use.
3. AP-Mages are generally Light-based. Soul Masters and Dark Lords can definitely be AP-Mages but I haven't experimented with them as much.
4. This could also be considered a semi-expensive build. If all you ever have for attribute is a 2 slot in-game weapon, you won't be very effective. Rings, GLS, Unique Weapons, Inferno gear, etc. These are all heavily suggested.

II. Builds (Build?)

Builds for Magic characters in Trickster stay away from having Power points. But then, you know what guide this is:

4411 - Most AP-Mages benefit from this build more than any alternate build; it will also identify you pretty heavily as an AP-Mage. Because of the added AC and faster reduction of DX of this build, this is my recommended build by far. In addition, I suggest putting all points into AP. However, an argument can definitely be made for just about any other build. While the build of a character is important, the gear that the character has equipped matters far more. An amount of DX or AP that your melee character doesn't have due to build or point allocation can easily be made up in compounds, refining, and various equips.

III. Stats, Attr, & SoH
The main stats used by AP-Mages are AP, DX, and Attribute (hereby occasionally referred to as "attr"). While it is known by many that attr multiplies melee damage, not everyone knows and because it is the underlying interaction that makes this build possible, I will illustrate how attr affects melee damage (skip the pink if no explanation is required. (Numbers incoming!)).

Normally, AP damage is dealt straight to the enemy and subtracted from their health*. So with 100 AP, you would deal 100 damage. However, if you had 100% of any elemental attribute (we'll say air), you would deal 100 non-elemental damage, and 100 air elemental damage. If you added an additional 400% air to make 500%, you would deal 600 damage altogether (100 non-elemental, 500 air). By using attribute, you multiply the amount of damage done, instead of just adding damage with more AP. It should also be noted that no matter what elements are used, the same multiplication effect occurs (Fire/Water? Don't cancel each other. You get the idea).

*Obviously DP factors in, but we're not concerned with that in the explanation.

Since you'll likely be 4411, you'll get plenty of AP and AC each level up, and your DX will decrease by 1 every twelve levels. Generally, I have always taken as much attr as I can get as well. For HP, you'll want to get a few slots filled with Hp gears at least into the hundreds (even further for Sheep). Then, when you have access to Shield of Heaven, you can either continue to use equips to buff HP, or you can forgo HP equips entirely and rely on Shield of Heaven (hereby referred to as "SoH"). I recommend the latter to boost damage output. However, as you have little MA due to your equips mainly being focused around AP and Attr, your SoH might break quickly.

Spoiler

If you choose not to go this route and choose to use HP gear, it is important you find a good balance of survival and damage output.

IV. Comparison
At this point, it should be considered "Why be an AP-Mage when I could be a Power Type?" And that is definitely a good question; why play a less efficient character if you don't have to? Bunnies and Buffaloes have AP, DX, and AC boosting abilities, as well as Berserk and then other skills that actually calculate attribute.

Well, Light Magic has skills that Power types also don't have access to. Shield of Heaven is a great example to start with. While Power types naturally have to devote some amount of gear/compound slots to HP just to survive (and thus sacrificing damage output to a degree), Light AP-Mages can maintain damage without sacrificing HP thanks to SoH. Alternatively, if a Light AP-Mage chooses to be more HP-centric in their build, Oath of Light (and Sacred Oath as a Priest) provides a constant regeneration effect that Power types don't have. They also have Light Shield and Mana Shield, which protects the player further from damage, and Basic Healing (and Med. Cure as a Priest) to help with status debuffs. Offensively, they have Magical Soul, which deals damage based on AP and MA, and if you're a Witch/Wizard, Elemental Boost will boost your non-light/dark attr to further increase your damage. It's also important to note that all Mages have Cure, which is extremely useful.

V. Pure vs Hybrid

Priest? Witch/Wizard? Sheep or Dragon? Explained!

First off, choosing to be a Sheep or a Dragon is relatively simple. Obviously, if you want to be a Priest, you're a Dragon. Secondly, if you want to be a Sheep, this route will be a little more difficult because of the increased TM requirement for SoH (and other defensive Dragon skills). Once you have those out of the way, it's aesthetics. Dragons and Sheep get different skills at different times but after awhile, they're identical.

As far as being a Light Hybrid or a Priest, this will be a little more of a decision. Priests have access to Sacred Oath, Med. Cure, and Refreshing Dew. None of these help with damage output but, as stated above, Sacred Oath helps with a more HP-centric build, and Med. Cure can help with status effects. Refreshing Dew is useful but, because you mainly melee enemies, it's not necessary. However, as a Light Hybrid, you have access to Elemental Boost, which can greatly increase your damage output.

If I was to recommend a class, I'd say Light Witch or Wizard.

VI. Conclusion + tl;dr
I'll go ahead and list the major points of the guide (which also serves as a nice tl;dr!).

1. Melee AP-Mages are not meant for PvP.
2. When choosing a build, you'll likely wanna go 4411 Pure AP.
3. Stack as much Attibute % (preferably not Dark/Light if you use Elemental Boost), AP, and DX as possible (in that order generally).
4. Have a secondary MA Main Weapon for casting Mist/SoH so that you don't have to worry about HP.
5. Be a Light Witch or Wizard for Elemental Boost.

Thanks for reading! There will be some editing in the future I am sure, but I really just wanted to get this out there c: Enjoy!~
If something looks like a different font or size or bolded, I gave up :c Formatting difficulties OP...

• Nariann, Daniel, iMinni and 9 others like this
Posted Image

~. Honor and respect one another .~

Michael

Michael

Captain Skull's Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • IGN:Kauw
  • Class:Card Thrower Guy
  • Level:1xx

maybe tell which skills are good to get/which ones have ap in their formulas?

Khloebunni

Khloebunni

Fallen Khloe - Game Advisor

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Locationtwitch khloebunni
  • IGN:Queen • Khloë
  • Class:Streamer
  • Level:400k

maybe tell which skills are good to get/which ones have ap in their formulas?

I went over the relevant skills (essentially buffs) and you really shouldn't be using any offensive Magic skills if you're 4411 pure AP. The exception (and the one Magic skill that uses AP) would be Magical Soul but your melee damage will outclass it, assuming you have enough attribute. That, and the Magical Soul Build is another AP-Mage build that I decided I wouldn't talk about. It's an entirely different thing and doesn't really require (and a lot of the time, even want, 4411 pure AP). For this build, it's really only useful if you don't have enough attribute, or in the earlier levels before you can equip certain gears.

When I go back through and re-edit the guide, I'll definitely highlight these things a little better though. I had skill lists in my original but when I looked for them just now, they were gone  D: So yeah... lol

• Michael likes this
Posted Image

Nariann

Nariann

Game Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • IGN:Cannot be left blank
Very interesting. I almost feel like I have to try this :D

9l0zUv3.png

Sakuraa

Sakuraa

Phantom School Student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Why :wub:

I can see that you worked on that guide but it seems quite useless IMO :/ since I find it good only at 1~80  Sorry :/

Khloebunni

Khloebunni

• Members
  • 369 posts

Why :wub:

I can see that you worked on that guide but it seems quite useless IMO :/ since I find it good only at 1~80  Sorry :/

That's fine, playing an AP-Mage is probably not for everyone. The point is to play a subclass of mage that people don't ordinarily play, but still be extremely powerful. Through the use of SoH, you can choose to forgo HP equips entirely (something that other classes generally can't do) and with Elemental Boost, boost your damage output just like power types do with Pumping Heart.

I hope when you tested this out though, you had plenty of good gear to get an accurate opinion (GLS, Attr rings, GS/Other good Attr weapon, and some decent HP equips (since you were below SoH level)).

4. This could also be considered a semi-expensive build. If all you ever have for attribute is a 2 slot in-game weapon, you won't be very effective. Rings, GLS, Unique Weapons, Inferno gear, etc. These are all heavily suggested.

Posted Image

azkuel

azkuel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:Azkuel
  • Class:Wizard
  • Level:180

I love theorycrafting. What do you think about melee Dark Lords?

They have a skill called dark commando that deals damage whenever you deal dark damage. This includes damage from melee attacks and damage from dark barrier (if the wiki is to be trusted).

It is interesting since as a melee you receive more hits from being up close, thus triggering dark barrier and dark commando more frequently.

Also, your high (low) DX makes it so dark commando triggers way more than spell casting.

Mastered Dark Commando deals (MA-49)*18.4 per hit. So that's a nice bonus to have whenever you deal or receive damage.

The problems I see are that you don't have elemental boost from bards, nor the survivability from priests. So on top of stacking attr and AP, you'd have to stack HP and MA for dark commando damage (and have at least one piece of gear with dark attr).

I don't think this was worth a new thread so sorry for the necro.

EDIT: Oh, and dark assimilation boosts your dark attr by 20%, being a bit better than elemental boost, but only works with dark attr.

• Khloebunni likes this

aT3G3ls.png

Torikakae

Torikakae

Captain Skull's Pirate

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • IGN:Torik
  • Class:Buffalo

Interesting points and build. I can see how an AP-Magic is different from an AP-Power, as AP-Mages play more defensively.

Though I would like to ask, how does it compare to Charm Types? Will the low-MA-SoH be more or less effective than flat-rate-Sumo Shield? Does the low-MA-Light Shield provide adequate defense against Charm Buffs? And with Guardians having the Cure skill, what would Charm Types not have that AP-Mages can offer?

(I know the post date on this guide. I would still like answers tho :D )

Click here for more Buffalo hotness <3 PM me for password ^_~

rTO Fanart Gallery | Astro Blitz Guild Fanart
VXbhp.gifTorikakae01.pngbDisc.gif
~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~
rTO IGN: Torik

Bongohead

Bongohead

Tree Sap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • IGN:Geepie
  • Level:399.9

And with Guardians having the Cure skill, what would Charm Types not have that AP-Mages can offer?

A Guardian's Cure is definitely not the same as having the Cure skill for several reasons. You can't do it whenever (Guardians only cast it when your HP's at less than 20%, also kinda slowly), and you can't cure others. PLUS it's not the only healing skill there is (look at Light Dragons', Witches' and Priests' skills like the Oaths and Healings/Med. Cure).

Also, sheeps, hybrid dragons and Dark Lords have Attribute-boosting skills (Elemental Boost and Dark Assimilation, like azkuel mentioned).

As I imagine it, Dark Lords have the heads up right now because the best melee weapon there is so far comps for Dark Attribute (Reppakottosodo), and has high AP. Also they do have defense because of Dark Barrier, and if hitting a high HP foe (that would mean to stand next to it hitting), they could also use Ghostly Whisper for additional damage. And HP equips are not that hard to get right now.

• Torikakae and azkuel like this

Khloebunni

Khloebunni

• Members
  • 369 posts

I love theorycrafting. What do you think about melee Dark Lords?

They have a skill called dark commando that deals damage whenever you deal dark damage. This includes damage from melee attacks and damage from dark barrier (if the wiki is to be trusted).

It is interesting since as a melee you receive more hits from being up close, thus triggering dark barrier and dark commando more frequently.

Also, your high (low) DX makes it so dark commando triggers way more than spell casting.

Mastered Dark Commando deals (MA-49)*18.4 per hit. So that's a nice bonus to have whenever you deal or receive damage.

The problems I see are that you don't have elemental boost from bards, nor the survivability from priests. So on top of stacking attr and AP, you'd have to stack HP and MA for dark commando damage (and have at least one piece of gear with dark attr).

I don't think this was worth a new thread so sorry for the necro.

EDIT: Oh, and dark assimilation boosts your dark attr by 20%, being a bit better than elemental boost, but only works with dark attr.

All this ^. There's a good chance if I make another AP-Mage some day, it will likely be a Dark Lady. The lack of PvP viability makes me hesitant however.

Interesting points and build. I can see how an AP-Magic is different from an AP-Power, as AP-Mages play more defensively.

Though I would like to ask, how does it compare to Charm Types? Will the low-MA-SoH be more or less effective than flat-rate-Sumo Shield? Does the low-MA-Light Shield provide adequate defense against Charm Buffs? And with Guardians having the Cure skill, what would Charm Types not have that AP-Mages can offer?

(I know the post date on this guide. I would still like answers tho :D )

I haven't played Charm types, so I can't say how they compare to Charm's survival buffs. If you swap to a staff before casting Mist and SoH, you could have a barrier with anywhere from 30-60k HP, depending on your staff's MA (and with this server's staffs, that could be 600+ MA) and any other MA you might accumulate from random gears, like Dragon Rings. Unfortunately, Light Shield will change when you switch back to your sword (iirc, if not, even better), but the buffed amount is still significant. I can't give a heads or tails when it comes to Charms being more or less optimal. Metamorphosis seems like another skill worthy of mention as well.

Bongo explained the Cure aspect.

A Guardian's Cure is definitely not the same as having the Cure skill for several reasons. You can't do it whenever (Guardians only cast it when your HP's at less than 20%, also kinda slowly), and you can't cure others. PLUS it's not the only healing skill there is (look at Light Dragons', Witches' and Priests' skills like the Oaths and Healings/Med. Cure).

Also, sheeps, hybrid dragons and Dark Lords have Attribute-boosting skills (Elemental Boost and Dark Assimilation, like azkuel mentioned).

As I imagine it, Dark Lords have the heads up right now because the best melee weapon there is so far comps for Dark Attribute (Reppakottosodo), and has high AP. Also they do have defense because of Dark Barrier, and if hitting a high HP foe (that would mean to stand next to it hitting), they could also use Ghostly Whisper for additional damage. And HP equips are not that hard to get right now.

The only negatives of DL versus Witch/Wizard being that they can't get a cape and helm with attribute that are affected by Dark Assimilation (but that's not a huge deal), and then having to worry about HP, instead of having that provided by SoH. But unless you plan to take on the hardest areas in the game like Tartarus with an AP-Mage, none of these characters need to be optimal. Charm types, Dark Lords, Witches/Wizards, Priests, Thief Masters--with the gears provided on this server, you can choose whichever class you'd like and be successful with Melee + Attribute [in PvE].

EDIT: Also, wow, that necro ^^ I hadn't looked at this guide in forever lol

• Torikakae and Bongohead like this
Posted Image

Silmeria

Silmeria

Captain Skull's Pirate

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • IGN:LinaInverse
  • Class:Witch
  • Level:400

This is a really awesome guide.  Never thought of this type of build.  It is tempting to try it just because it's so different.

I will say, I don't think someone said this already, but the benefit to using something like SoH on a melee-magic type would be that anyone with a 1 in sense (many power types) have to cope, to some extent with wt issues.  SoH can be recast quickly requires very few potions to keep you healthy, and eliminates the need for HP heals (and if you need to heal hp Catastrophe heal is love  :wub: )  As pointed out, the combo of SoH and Light shield is insanely good.

A very neat build.  Might be worth trying out, thanks for the guide!

WickedCrow

WickedCrow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This is a very interesting guide, I may even get a Build Graph Potion and mess around with my Dragon, see how fun AP-mage can be. 

As for the whole Charm thing, in terms of tankiness, I can kind sum it up as: 1414/1423 Light Mage > Coon/Cat (Any Build) > 4411 Mage. The reason being is that Charm's naturally have incredible evasion and DP, especially if they have their DP and HV buffs up. A Full HP coon can be incredibly hard to kill outside of Magical attacks. However, a full charm Light Mage with Light Shield and SoH can go even or better than a racoon, plus they have heals to sustain them for longer. As for 4411 AP mages, they will hit like a truck in melee and have the powerful shield of SoH, but the shield's strength may not be very good. Aside from that, they will have lower HV, DP, and HP than either a racoon or charm mage.The HP equips will help, but they still have to take the hits on the chin, and if they arent careful they could probably be bursted down before they can even heal. If possible, Charm MyShop gear might be worth it for the natural HP, DP, HV it gives then just comping it for AP and possibly elemental attribute.

Khloebunni

Khloebunni

• Members
  • 369 posts

This is a very interesting guide, I may even get a Build Graph Potion and mess around with my Dragon, see how fun AP-mage can be. 

As for the whole Charm thing, in terms of tankiness, I can kind sum it up as: 1414/1423 Light Mage > Coon/Cat (Any Build) > 4411 Mage. The reason being is that Charm's naturally have incredible evasion and DP, especially if they have their DP and HV buffs up. A Full HP coon can be incredibly hard to kill outside of Magical attacks. However, a full charm Light Mage with Light Shield and SoH can go even or better than a racoon, plus they have heals to sustain them for longer. As for 4411 AP mages, they will hit like a truck in melee and have the powerful shield of SoH, but the shield's strength may not be very good. Aside from that, they will have lower HV, DP, and HP than either a racoon or charm mage.The HP equips will help, but they still have to take the hits on the chin, and if they arent careful they could probably be bursted down before they can even heal. If possible, Charm MyShop gear might be worth it for the natural HP, DP, HV it gives then just comping it for AP and possibly elemental attribute.

Yepp, that's all fair. And after a certain point, all the attribute and AP just adds on unnecessary damage (since everything dies in one hit), so balancing some extra HV or DP, or MA for SoH and Light Shield, seems appropriate.

Although, not gonna lie, I like seeing melees from a Magic character doing 7 digits hahaha  :lol:

Posted Image

Sakuraa

Sakuraa

Phantom School Student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

I'm sorry but this is just Useless.. IMO

Khloebunni

Khloebunni

• Members
  • 369 posts

I'm sorry but this is just Useless.. IMO

If you have some counterpoints or supporting ideas as to why it's useless, then definitely feel free to post them. However, if you just feel this play style isn't for you, instead of saying you feel it's useless without support, please just skip over this guide and go play a different class. Only posting that you feel it's a bad strategy isn't productive. Especially twice.

Additionally, what I said the first time. \/

That's fine, playing an AP-Mage is...not for everyone. The point is to play a subclass of mage that people don't ordinarily play, but still be extremely powerful.

Posted Image

Tiffymew

Tiffymew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:Motivate
  • Class:Scientist

Hey there! So I just came across this guide and it got me really excited because one of my favorite characters to play in eTO was my AP Sheep ;w; (walls of text and screenshots incoming)

I don't know what gave me the idea of an AP Sheep but it was the second character I made, after my Cat which I wasn't very thrilled about (no offense to Cat players out there!) I had no idea what to expect, given that there wasn't really any guides out there back in 2009 (especially none as detailed as this). I also wasn't super rich, although I did spend quite a bit of MS, so I guess that's how I managed to get by (mostly) okay. I enjoyed the game much more and I poured a lot of my time and love into this Sheep, going along with my (then) fangirly stage fawning over Count Blood xD

Anyways, probably the most memorable events of my AP Sheep life was fighting Don Giuvanni. I attempted it at 80 and made little to no progress, before dying quickly to a berserked critical slap to the face. I spent countless attempts trying to whittle down his health whenever he wasn't berserked. I finally killed him at 91, after investing in a GLS xD

Don't remember what the 3rd job trials were like but they weren't as bad I think, at that point I had a bit more funds to put into better AP and HP equips (pet mostly, and weapon, which wasn't unique, but at least it was MS with Attr).

Anyways, fast forward to 170-ish, I sort of hit a wall then, and that was before Season 2. Started playing a Buff and that's more or less when my AP Sheep adventures sort of dwindled off. I eventually got a Blood set that I wish I could've tested out on the Sheep, but alas, I think I had gone over that phase at that point.

It was still a very interesting and terribly fun experience. I don't think I ever got SoH either, so I was squishy for forever and that's mostly what I recall from my Sheep. Don't think she did more than 20k at any point either, but I was still pretty proud of her. I think I went Water/Elec for the stuns, and Light for the obvious survivability.

I remember seeing a few AP Dragons (mostly not past 3rd job) or what could've possibly been AP Dragons, given by what their pet and equips looked like. I don't recall seeing any other AP Sheep though.

Stuck a few screenshots in the spoilers, mostly comments (positive and negative) that I got from running around with my Sheep xD the last few screenshots I took with her was before the server closed, but at that point I sold/moved/fused over a few of my equips (notably the GLS) so she was a bit weaker than at her peak.

Given how it's much easier to train/grind in rTO and the Inferno set is much more affordable here, I wouldn't mind redoing another AP Mage at some point (this time properly!) once I've gathered enough funds and I'm satisfied with my Lion. Still trying to nab some of my old favorite fuses and pets, so it'll probably be a while, and I'm not gonna be anywhere close to hitting 7-digit numbers :P

Thanks for this guide! Will definitely reference back to it when that day comes C:

Screenshots from eTO! Sorry about my horrible formatting D:

Spoiler

Comments from others:

Spoiler

• Khloebunni and Panpyro like this

Tiffymew

Tiffymew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:Motivate
  • Class:Scientist

Had to separate post to send all the pictures 

If you want me to take these screenshots down just let me know, didn't mean to take anything away from your guide ^^

Final moments:

Spoiler

Other AP Dragons in the wild?

Spoiler

• Khloebunni and Panpyro like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Magic, Pure AP, Guide, AP-Mage