Photo

(Sheep) How to use Whirlwind effectively?

Magic Sheep Wind Bossing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

QQinfinity

QQinfinity

Game Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • IGN:QQinfinity
  • Class:Witch (Water/Elect/Light)
  • Level:200 ish

Wind Sheep is pretty fun. Wind Soul Master is super awesome. But I really don't know how to use Whirlwind effectively. I understand that it can be used to clear mobs in a dense area, but I always just decide to walk around with Wind Blade/Raging Storm instead. Heard from someone that Whirlwind is supposedly good for bossing but I just don't understand how, so how does someone use Whirlwind in a boss fight?

Stand too far away and it's useless. Stand too close and it won't hit. It will hit if I stand at just the right distance, but that means they are out of range from Wind Blade/Raging Storm. Is the damage from Whirlwind good enough to trade away Wind Blade/Raging Storm? Also have to be stationary, but being stationary in a boss fight is ALWAYS a bad idea (not to mention some bosses can Evict you from the boss room). Add the finicky range of Gnome Domain into the mix and I have absolutely no idea how this skill is supposed to be used against bosses.

Does anyone know how to use this skill effectively? Are there any bosses that are particularly easy to setup?

Posted Image

"At Fiesta, everyday is Customer Appreciation Day. Come see for yourself, and get in touch with our products! Every day's great at your Fiesta!"

—Fiesta commercial
(I'm sorry, I couldn't stop myself from doing this, it was just too perfect a joke to let it pass...)

HirotoSenpai

HirotoSenpai

General Moderator

• Moderators
  • 749 posts
  • LocationBrazil
  • IGN:[Mod]Hiroto
  • Class:Buffalo
  • Level:400

honestly ive never had any problem using it in boss since the boss attack us. The "thing" with air is that u can use whirlwind and spam air skills like wind blade and the wind for 3rd job at the same time. It's a strong combo, but not really used in grind or plvl since u can't move. 

• QQinfinity likes this

oiau13.png

Spoiler

ShadesOfCool

ShadesOfCool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Maybe it doesn't seem like that, but Whirlwind still damages enemies at a certain distance from the hurricanes, even if those hurricanes aren't exactly over them. If you have this skill at master, at this mid-range between you and the hurricanes, the boss will still be damaged from the skill. So it's possible to use them to boss hunting by just keeping the boss between you and a hurricane, wich is close enough for you to spam Wind Blade and Raging Storm.

But, in my personal opinion, you can just ignore Whirlwind while bossing. As HirotoSenpai mentioned, wind is actually so fast that you can just do enough damage with Wind Blade and Raging Storm combo with Gnome's Domain, so Whirlwind is not really necessary (and if you can't damage the boss enough with those, using Whirlwind probably is not going to help a lot). I think it's much more common to get banished cause of Whirlwind's loooong cast time, not because you have to be static in order to have it always active. You can just stay in place rotating Wind Blade -> Raging Storm -> Wind Blade -> repeat, and having domain always active: since those skills have so little cast time, you're always gonna have windows of opportunity to stop the combo and move away from the banishing area.

I think Whirlwind shines in places to grind in which the mobs spawn closely, like in mines. You can just pop Whirlwind and use the Earth's skills immense range to lure enemies. But, outside of that, and bossing, I fail to see decent uses to this skill.

• QQinfinity likes this

QQinfinity

QQinfinity

Game Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • IGN:QQinfinity
  • Class:Witch (Water/Elect/Light)
  • Level:200 ish

Just had my first virgin boss run. As in, it was the VERY FIRST TIME since I touched Trickster since 2007 that I've ever tried to fight a boss.

It was Queen Odinea, and due to my defensive gear, she could not touch me at all. The only trouble I had was from the mobs she summoned; a few of them had skills that still hit hard despite my defense, and some had skills to neutralize my defense, and there is this one fker that constantly stunned me. Died once and got back up with flower, didn't make the same mistake of letting the mobs be again.

Took Queen Odinea down to half health easily enough with Gnome Domain and wind spam. But because domain and Banish circle overlapped PERFECTLY I didn't notice the Banish until it was too late. Oops. But in any case I doubt I would have lost to her directly if I didn't lose to Banish.

In hindsight, using Whirlwind to keep the mobs occupied might have been a good idea since WB/RS was too short to clear them. Or maybe I should have just placed a fresh Gnome Domain and walked closer to the mobs for a good ass whooping with WB/RS instead of bothering with Whirlwind. Oh well.

Posted Image

"At Fiesta, everyday is Customer Appreciation Day. Come see for yourself, and get in touch with our products! Every day's great at your Fiesta!"

—Fiesta commercial
(I'm sorry, I couldn't stop myself from doing this, it was just too perfect a joke to let it pass...)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Magic, Sheep, Wind, Bossing