Photo

Maybe we need to advertise this game more?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

YTakuyaY

YTakuyaY

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • IGN:XYukariX
  • Class:Champion
  • Level:221/261
Hey all. I just came back recently after 3 years hiatus (work, life, and school...). I'm happy that this game is still alive. At the same time, I'm a bit bummed out by the fact that the last actual update with new content was a year ago. Maybe we just need to spread the word about this classic MMORPG more? Spread it on Reddit, social media, discord. Do we have discord group already? To build up the player base, we need more than just events that would mostly benefit us veteran. This is my thought so far. There can be many ways to make this game alive again. Maybe if some people who are skilled with game editing can add our own content, from new art to new characters and new skills.
  • Lusche and Solvluna like this

izF4TE

izF4TE

Desert Beach Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • IGN:?
  • Class:?
  • Level:?

^^

Euler

Euler

Caballa Relics Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Not to be negative, but this is the natural progression of any private server. The inability of delivering "new" content eventually leads to a dying game.

Due to privacy reasons, the server is severely understaffed -- there is literally one guy who codes for the server and this is probably something he does on the side.

From my perspective and you're likely to get the same answer from any experienced coder, but I know if they weren't able to give us Paula over this much time (1.5 yrs+), we'll never get it. Paula aside, if they can't even fix small bugs without complaining that it could "break the game", then... Nothing against the staff, but if the game really is as hard-coded as it seems and is preventing any sort of new content to be released or bug fixes to be made, then the first thing that needs to be done is to completely rebuild the game from scratch. Anyways, this can't be done by one person who plays with the source code when he has time, but can be done with a team of people in month's time. Nobody wants to do that though, so we just have to be content that this server will eventually die, just like any other game. Just my opinion.

• Paylette, Alumine and Seulgi like this

YTakuyaY

YTakuyaY

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • IGN:XYukariX
  • Class:Champion
  • Level:221/261
Oh man, I was about mid lv 200s when I left. Haha.

& recruit some experienced players to camp at blooming cora to either help level 1 players out, or trigger "motivate" them by telling them you will never get to level 400

Solvluna

Solvluna

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • IGN:Tyarian
  • Class:Scientist
  • Level:228

Ntreev should publish the Trickster mobile game in the west already. Would introduce the brand to more people and probably get more people interested in playing the MMO, similar to what Nintendo is doing with Pokemon Go and Fire Emblem Heroes. I wonder if the staff of Ntreev USA would be interested in coming back to localize it?

Euler

Euler

Caballa Relics Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Would introduce the brand to more people and probably get more people interested in playing the MMO,

That's assuming Ntreev cares about this game, which doesn't seem to be the case.

• Seulgi likes this

Lusche

Lusche

Phantom School Student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • IGN:Lusche/Almarix
  • Class:Gambler/Diva
  • Level:321/136

Alright, this is where I come in.

So, for starters, it seems people are looking in the wrong area, the "gray" area as it were.

While new content is nice, it's not what this game needs, all new content does is stop the tiny/dwindling player base from their inevitable departure, the game needs more players, not necessarily to keep the ones it has.

The game needs simple and clear cut advertising, whether it's a famous Youtuber or Twitcher picking it up, OR it being put on Steam like Ragnarok Online was.

In 2007-2009 Trickster had a massive playerbase, enough that it couldn't all fit onto one channel, let alone one server.

Due to the rise of MMO's and there not being too many at this time, people flocked to this game as they did Runescape and Maplestory.

How it would turn out however,  is totally different.

Majority of players would see a cutesy game, give it a go, never get past level 30, learn it wasn't for them and give it up. (but this accounted for millions and millions of accounts)

Now with a generation leading more towards nostalgia and 2D once more (as 3D really doesn't overly impress anyone with it's feats considering it's damn near hit its peak/pinnacle), with solid advertising, that's what one would aim to shoot for all over again.

Chances are; most once more would quit before level 50, but for those select few who played it a few times and got hooked, would stay, tell their friends, maybe their friends would stay, and just like we had in 2014, this game would endow itself with a second cult following as the first one dies out.

Nothing lasts forever, but for the things that don't, they start something before they go.
Forest begets fire, that begets forest that begets fire.

TLDR; I'm a solid advocate for promoting advertisement and social media to help bring an influx of new players into the game, and strongly side with the original poster.

​As a gentleman should, he does. (^_-)☆ 

output_ipCcnw_zpsd5268428.gif

Maniphest

Maniphest

Desert Beach Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • IGN:Disgaea
  • Class:Bunny

Ntreev wouldn't help out a private server in any way. Can't have a discord for a vastly multi-lingual player base like this either, it'd just be chaotic or dead

Maniphest

Maniphest

Desert Beach Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • IGN:Disgaea
  • Class:Bunny

Ntreev wouldn't help out a private server in any way. Can't have a discord for a vastly multi-lingual player base like this either, it'd just be chaotic or dead

Lusche

Lusche

Phantom School Student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • IGN:Lusche/Almarix
  • Class:Gambler/Diva
  • Level:321/136

Discord allows for many different tab channels.

Different channels for different languages and topics.

​As a gentleman should, he does. (^_-)☆ 

output_ipCcnw_zpsd5268428.gif

Solvluna

Solvluna

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

That's assuming Ntreev cares about this game, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Meh, Ntreev definitely did care about it enough to keep the Trickster brand alive through a cute little mobile game.

Unfortunately, it's way more profitable for them to have a F2P mobile game than continue running a F2P MMO.

Have you seen those mobile games? People whale like crazy in them trying to get their waifus.

Trickster needs more waifus.

• LuckyFox likes this

Euler

Euler

Caballa Relics Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Alright, this is where I come in.

So, for starters, it seems people are looking in the wrong area, the "gray" area as it were.

While new content is nice, it's not what this game needs, all new content does is stop the tiny/dwindling player base from their inevitable departure, the game needs more players, not necessarily to keep the ones it has.

The game needs simple and clear cut advertising, whether it's a famous Youtuber or Twitcher picking it up, OR it being put on Steam like Ragnarok Online was.

Good point, but I would disagree that more players alone will prevent the game from dying. That's akin to putting a bandage on the situation -- without new content, the game will start to lose players and we'll see the same situation again. The game needs both new players and new content.

• Seulgi likes this

Solvluna

Solvluna

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Do we have discord group already?

Ah, before I forget...

The link to this server's discord.

Link to Wan's Thai Trickster's discord as a bonus.

mikota95

mikota95

Desert Beach Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • IGN:HatsuneMik
  • Class:Witch

To be honest, I really don't think this game will attract new people. We're talking about a game that came out more than a decade ago and stop creating new content a few years back. Thanks to the GM and admins taking up this private server, there are lot of people who came to play and finish things they hadn't or couldn't when the official servers were up. But I really think that most of the "new players" nowadays are people who had already played this game and have some nostalgia or people like me, who didn't make it past lvl 80 and was kinda frustrated at how hard/frustrating it was to advance in the game. I do like this private server, because in many ways they have made it easier to get to endgame content and fulfill what old me couldn't do, but as Euler said, there has to be new players and new content, which is really hard when you didn't develop the game and do this as a hobby.

There are very few MMO's that come from the trickster era that are still alive, with an example being WOW. Despite not being in its prime, it has kept a playerbase ongoing, mainly because they still care about the game and release content and maintainances every week, they have new expansions, etc, People with nostalgia will come to play to wow, but they can actually do events and things that incentivize new players such as refer a friend and gain bonus XP and pets, which makes old players want to bring friends to play and since you have a guarantee the game is not gonna die (and by dying I mean releasing content constantly) anytime soon, it makes people want to keep playing.

Just try to enjoy the game while it lasts.

• Euler and Seulgi like this

MrSlaughter

MrSlaughter

#1 Charm 1st Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
  • IGN:Orange
  • Class:PvP Guru
  • Level:Enough

Hey all. I just came back recently after 3 years hiatus (work, life, and school...). I'm happy that this game is still alive. At the same time, I'm a bit bummed out by the fact that the last actual update with new content was a year ago. Maybe we just need to spread the word about this classic MMORPG more? Spread it on Reddit, social media, discord. Do we have discord group already? To build up the player base, we need more than just events that would mostly benefit us veteran. This is my thought so far. There can be many ways to make this game alive again. Maybe if some people who are skilled with game editing can add our own content, from new art to new characters and new skills.

Hey I haven't read all the 12 comments to this post but I am about 90% sure that at least 3 replies are about "why advertising this game will not work".

Trust me, I have tried to convey the message that no advertisement = no new players = slowly dying game. People just don't seem to understand, and often start to bash the idea of advertising. 

• Lusche and Euler like this

Stealing fire from Mt. Olympus like its no big deal.

~Prometheus                              

Seulgi

Seulgi

Oops Wharf Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • IGN:#1 Soulmaster
  • Class:#1 Soulmaster
  • Level:#1

Hey I haven't read all the 12 comments to this post but I am about 90% sure that at least 3 replies are about "why advertising this game will not work".

Trust me, I have tried to convey the message that no advertisement = no new players = slowly dying game. People just don't seem to understand, and often start to bash the idea of advertising. 

Let's be real, Trickster is almost out of content. Advertising won't bring old players back. It may bring new players to the game but they'll play for 30 minutes, realize the game is pay to win and quit.

Trickster online can not keep up with today's version of mmo's, which consists of COSMETIC ITEMS. No need to spend 100$ each time you want to compound your gear,refine it or  4 slot it, Usually nowadays everything you need to gear in an mmo you can get in game without spending money, People are so used to that,so the minute they see trickster they'll run for their lives.

• Shelfo, Alumine and Euler like this

11ea72137ba9ebde3f6e0bf3a768072c.png

Solvluna

Solvluna

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Ntreev should publish the Trickster mobile game in the west already. Would introduce the brand to more people and probably get more people interested in playing the MMO, similar to what Nintendo is doing with Pokemon Go and Fire Emblem Heroes. I wonder if the staff of Ntreev USA would be interested in coming back to localize it?

To expand a bit more on my earlier post, this recent interview is a good read.  http://www.animenews...d-order/.119365

Here are some good takeaways from the interview for discussion:

I've read that F/GO tops the charts in Japan. While planning for it, did you expect it to be that much of a hit?

Iwakami: I believe that its current success does exceed our initial expectations. Our first priority was to make a game that would appease existing Fate fans and make them happy, but we now see that Fate/Grand Order also functions as a gateway to let new people into the Fate universe. So it has been a very good title for us.

What prompted the decision to bring FGO over to English-speaking countries?

Iwakami: Fate/Grand Order's Japanese team always wanted to put out an English release, but the primary motive came last year at Anime Expo 2016, when we saw so many Americans cosplaying Fate/Grand Order characters. So we realized that we needed to hurry up and get going on the English release. We targeted Anime Expo 2017 for our release date, and I'm sure that was a lot of work for Delightworks, but they persevered and we made it on time.

So what are your expectations of Fate/Grand Order's performance in English?

Iwakami: To be honest, it's not really the sales from the game that matter so much as the expansion of the Fate fanbase. That's what we really want to see.

Shiokawa: For Fate/Grand Order, there are plenty of fans in Japan who would love to spend plenty of money to win the characters that they want, but the game itself is clearable without spending any money. So it's something that you can still enjoy for free.

Solvluna

Solvluna

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Ntreev wouldn't help out a private server in any way.

If you were referring to my first post, then of course Ntreev wouldn't directly help out a private server. But by releasing an English version of the mobile app, they would be indirectly helping English private servers.

All of the official servers are offline, so the people who get interested in playing the MMO from the mobile game will be checking out private servers.

Judging from some of the other posts in this thread, people are giving up on Trickster Online way too easily.  Even if Trickster Online in its current form dies, there's always the chance that Ntreev would revive the game themselves with overhauled gameplay and graphics.

It ultimately depends on how passionate the Trickster fanbase is.

It's pretty disappointing that the only things most players here seem care about are how pretty they can make their characters or how powerful they can make them.

The heart and soul of Trickster are the story and the many characters and monsters. There should be more discussion on who the best waifus are.

I would love to date an Arachne. Arachne.gif

103453a0cfe71008a13051766bcd5e9f.png

The ladies who play here should have some husbandos. I mean, look at Count Blood. I wouldn't mind letting him suck me dry any day of the week. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

291133644-1466254143_l.jpg

Where are the Card Girl vs Item Girl waifu wars?

Seulgi

Seulgi

Oops Wharf Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • IGN:#1 Soulmaster
  • Class:#1 Soulmaster
  • Level:#1

It's pretty disappointing that the only things most players here seem care about are how pretty they can make their characters or how powerful they can make them.

The heart and soul of Trickster are the story and the many characters and monsters. There should be more discussion on who the best waifus are.

I would love to date an Arachne. Arachne.gif

103453a0cfe71008a13051766bcd5e9f.png

The ladies who play here should have some husbandos. I mean, look at Count Blood. I wouldn't mind letting him suck me dry any day of the week. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

291133644-1466254143_l.jpg

Where are the Card Girl vs Item Girl waifu wars?

This has triggered me. . .

11ea72137ba9ebde3f6e0bf3a768072c.png

Paylette

Paylette

Game & Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 589 posts
  • LocationTurning Salt into Sugar
  • IGN:Temmie
  • Class:Tem
  • Level:300

Hey guys, Temmie here! And although I have