• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Ailyn

Ailyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • IGN:AilynEvensen

My fiance (LacomusManousos) wrote this and asked me to post this for him (since I'm already registered here). Sorry its so long, he just wanted to make sure that his concerns were addressed properly:

"I've decided to ask this question before creating my character (though I got the 1019 error for the name I actually wanted, lol), because after a bit of browsing it's become apparent to me that practically every Class guide for this game is considered out of date. I'm planning on playing a Dragon, and I'm most likely going to pool all of my bonus points into MA (though if I find a 'good' argument to do it in LK instead, I'll consider it, so if you have one lay it on me).

So the big question apart from the MA/LK/HP bonus point recommendation thing is this; 1441 vs. 1432. I've seen a damn lot of contradicting information about which one is more recommended than the other. I also saw people recommending 1414, but it seems that this is exclusively for very specific PvP builds, and I have no interest in playing PvP in this game (I'm a chess player and fighting game player, and a long time RPG player as well, but to date I've never found a single MMORPG with a PvP system that I could acknowledge as "balanced"), so just assume I don't care about PvP at all unless I find a very good reason to consider it balanced, and given how it sounds like certain Classes/Builds can just plain "No Sell" other Classes/Builds without getting a fluke, I certainly don't consider it balanced from all I've read and seen.

Anyway, back on topic. I want the answer I'm giving to take into consideration that while I'm basically "new" to this game, I'm not new to RPGs, and also take into consideration that I probably won't be funding my character much, or at all, through MyShop. I simply don't have the money. So basically, which stat setup would be recommended for a Dragon whose planning on either playing a Dark Lord or a Priest; I honestly haven't completely settled on one or the other (I planned Dark Lord initially since I want to focus on high level damage spells, but I'm also considering Priest to avoid being a complete Glass Cannon). I would say assume I'll prioritize Dark Lord over Priest if I can find a set-up for it that won't result in me being squashed by boss fights.

So yeah, assume the main focus of the question is the 1441/1432/1414 thing, but I'm also considering things like which stat will get all my points, which 3rd Job I'll go to, etc. Cheers in advance. I don't really have the time to play for dozens of hours only to find out I need to restart because I made an uninformed decision in the first 5 minutes of gameplay.

I've rather consistently played mages in most MMORPGs I've been on, and solo'ed with them effectively as well, so if the only incentive to have 1432 instead of 1441 is for a Dark Lord in the hands of a player who can't avoid melee enemies effectively, then I would imagine I should just go with 1441. I'm essentially looking to find out if there's a good reason to want that extra HP beyond "learning curve with a Dark Lord", since it sounds like Priest has the spells to make 1432 pointless and should just go 1441, but, like I said, I'm undecided between Dark Lord and Priest right now so I might not commit to either until the time comes to decide, although, like I said, I am leaning more towards Dark Lord because I want high damage output and my fiancé is more into healing/supporting roles than I am."

Bongohead

Bongohead

Tree Sap

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • IGN:Geepie
  • Level:399.9

From mid to end game, your base stats don't do that much of a difference. Even if you're unfunded (I've always been), you'll get to a point where you can get decent equips which stats are more significant than your builds'.

With that in mind, and the fact that you can pretty much make unlimited characters to store stuff into, you should only really worry about combat stats for now.

For mages, I'd say 1414 pure LK (or 3LK:1MA for Priest, 3LK:1HP for DL) is pretty balanced and you're not wasting points into non-combat stats (DA and WT).

I might edit this later to expand a little.

Good luck!

• Ailyn likes this

Ailyn

Ailyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • IGN:AilynEvensen

From mid to end game, your base stats don't do that much of a difference. Even if you're unfunded (I've always been), you'll get to a point where you can get decent equips which stats are more significant than your builds'.

With that in mind, and the fact that you can pretty much make unlimited characters to store stuff into, you should only really worry about combat stats for now.

For mages, I'd say 1414 pure LK (or 3LK:1MA for Priest, 3LK:1HP for DL) is pretty balanced and you're not wasting points into non-combat stats (DA and WT).

Good luck!

Here's his reply:

"Interesting first response. Wasn't exactly expecting to get someone suggesting 1414 after I made a point that I have no intention of playing PvP, since the only argument for it I've found on the forums so far was in a PvP Build guide.

I was under the impression that Priest has spells that make having a high HP virtually redundant, so it's unexpected to see you not only not recommending 1441 or 1432, but actually recommending I go all the way into "Charm" 4 territory. I get the concept. More or less you're saying that it's better to have a high HP/Defense than it is to have a high Drilling/Weight. Basically you use your bonus points solely on the only "combat" stat that "Sense" offers; Luck.

I've got a few inquiries, since this is not the recommendation I was expecting to get (I hadn't ruled it out, but I figured it'd be the least likely of the 3 builds). Firstly, is having Drilling and Weight 'that' low really not crippling? I would've thought low Drilling could make farming a painfully slow or luck-based process that could put me off the game, and in general not being able to hold a lot of equipment is a royal thorn in the side in a lot of games too, though, admittedly, my practical experience with this game is limited to a couple of very basic "test runs" I did with a few "create and then delete" characters, really only messing around with the first few areas, so I don't know how irritating low Drilling/Weight is in practice, only in theory.

Next on my thought list is the decision to pump all the bonus points into Luck instead of Magic Attack. I understand the premise for doing it (not have a high Drilling or Weight while still having the important high Luck stat). However, isn't it basically a staple to pour a lot of bonus points into Magic Attack? I would imagine raw damage is a lot more important than getting critical hits, and with such high HP/Defense, a high block seems pointless. The idea you're suggesting definitely makes sense in theory, but does it mean that not putting all those points into Magic Attack doesn't actually have a real impact on your damage potential? Is that what you were saying when you said Gear > Stats in the mid and endgame? I've heard that Dark Lords hit into the 100K damage area eventually, so does not pooling your bonus points into Magic Attack really have no contribution to that?

You mentioned you might elaborate, so I'm guessing some of that elaboration involved answering some of these questions. I'm just a real perfectionist when it comes to the details, so didn't want to miss anything. Having such a high HP/Defense sounded like it was pointless if you could actually handle your character, or once you had access to certain equipment, so sacrificing pooled bonus points in Magic Attack for it sounded like a strange decision. Again, as the title suggests, all of my knowledge of this game comes from seemingly out of date guides, so that's why I'm trying to get the information straight from 'current' people with experience with decent mage builds. Like I said, I'm also slightly uncertain about which of those two 3rd Jobs I'll be upgrading into, so I'd like to set my basic stats with either as a viable outcome. I just wasn't expecting you to suggest 1414 for both of them."

Paige

Paige

Tenter Lion Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1122 posts
  • IGN:
For mages, the standard build would be 1432 or 1441 Full MA. I personally think 1441 is viable even if you're not going to be "funded" since it's fairly easy to obtain decent items in this version of the game (Auction House, in-game events, etc.). Mages have Cure anyway so it's definitely more efficient to just go 1441. 1414 isn't that good for mages, unless of course you're a Dark mage or a Soul Master, but even then it's still pretty mediocre (both of my Soul Masters are 1441 and they're fine, although they do have high HP compounded into their equips). I wouldn't trade a 3 in sense for anything else since especially Dark Lords and pure Dragons in general (as compared to hybrids and pure Sheeps, this is also because they get a reduced mana consumption skill called "Bolster Ballad") have very high mana costs so you're going to be needing that extra WT to carry all your potions. This is all personal preference though really. I'm a hoarder by heart which is why I would probably never get a 1 or a 2 in Sense. You can probably survive with a 2 in Sense but it's ultimately your choice.

LK doesn't also only improve your block rate, but it's basically a mage's Accuracy stat. If your enemy has more LK than you, most of your skills will be misses to them.

I'll just be listing down the pros and cons that I am aware of regarding Dark Lords and Priests.

Dark Lord

Pros
Extremely high single target damage
Probably one of if not the best boss hunter among the mages

Cons
Mediocre AoE spells for grinding (You basically just stand in one spot while Whisper is on, it's good for high density areas like Floor 62 but not so much in lower CT floors)
Need to have a decent amount of HP and DP aside from MA and LK
Getting Dark Attribute compoundable gear to increase your damage (Sort of expensive)

Priest

Pros
Really tanky (with Light Shield and Shield of Heaven) which makes having a 4 in Charm or compounding in HP pretty useless
More AoEs for grinding (Takes less time to level up, in theory)
Less expensive than Dark Lords (They only need to concentrate on MA and LK stats)
A lot of supportive spells from cleansing debuffs to HoT and resetting you and your party's CDs with Refreshing Dew

Cons
Their damage is noticeably lower than Dark Lords (Their skills can't be increased with Light Attribute, they have mediocre single target spells)
Consumes more MP than Dark Lords
Before you get Light Shield or Shield of Heaven, you will be pretty squishy if your build is 1441

Light Hybrid

Pros
More Elements in your arsenal to cycle through (Monsters have resistances in certain elements, so you can use whichever is most effective or viable)
Very good AoE abilities for grinding
Less Mana Consumption compared to Dark Lords and Priests (2nd job skills in general have lower mana costs, adding to the fact that you can learn Bolster Ballad)
Decent-Very Good single target damage depending on the Elements you choose
Tanky due to Light Shield and Shield of Heaven

Cons
Their raw damage is not as high as Dark Lords or Priests (or Soul Masters for that matter) unless you compound Attribute into your equipment (Which means more spending on your part)

Dark Hybrid

Pros
Same Pros as Light Hybrids with the exception of being really Tanky
Better at bossing than Priests and Light Hybrids

Cons
You can't increase your Dark spells with Dark Attribute but you can increase your other Elements' damage with Attribute though (More spending again)
Not very popular in general since they're pretty much the love child of a Dark Lord and a Sheep (Either you be good in one thing or the other, meaning if you want to do high single target damage, it's better to just go Dark Lord, if not then you might as well go Light Hybrid since 2nd job Dark Skills are pretty mediocre)

Conclusion

If this is your first character, then I suggest going Light Hybrid or Priest. You can survive pretty much anything once you get Light Shield and Shield of Heaven so you wont really need to concentrate much on defensive stats. It's up to personal preference from there, I personally started with Fire/Elec/Light as my first character (Super fun! I found Fire/Elec Soul Master and Soul Masters in general more fun though). If both of you are playing together, then I guess you could go Dark Lord (but you might need to spend a little for a Golden Lion Shield, a Dark Staff and Dark Accessories to do really high damage). I know more about Sheeps than Dragons though, so it might be best to get another opinion other than mine.

Bongohead

Bongohead

Tree Sap

• Members
  • 870 posts

LK is magic accuracy, not so much for crits and blocking. You need to outluck your opponents to not miss them, be it monsters or players. This is why many PvPers build up LK, but for PvM, you only need a bit. This means having enough LK from your build and you equips' base stats lets you use your compound slots for something else (MA, Attr., etc.).

SoH is only good if you have enough MA to make the bar good enough to tank the attacks. If you're up against real monsters that deal a lot of damage, or use Aura Shatter (specially Ed in CT and Tartarus), or you're just simply unabled (Entrancing Wink) or a bit lazy or whatever to recast it every time; if you don't have enough back up HP, you'll die. This is why HP isn't useless at both early and end games.

Besides, specially as a hybrid sheep, you have to go through all early game without SoH until you actually learn it.

Also, with low HP you'd be wasting potential tankyness from your healing skills (they don't heal SoH).

In the case of Dark Lords, since you can reflect damage with Dark Barrier, more HP let's you survive more attacks while dealing half of the damage (althought I guess this may work better with low DP and HV).

For Soul Masters, Blessings deal damage (based on Attr, LK and AC) whenever you get attacked, even if they miss/block (so all Charm stats are useful for this).

And of course, general survivavility is nice :P

All things considered, I've seen all kinds of builds being pulled off mainly because you can make up for whatever you want with gears, this just seems like the most versatile build for mages.

And about DA and WT, it's absolutely true everyone needs them at one point or another, but as I said, if you're tidy enough you can make mules to allow your main to just carry equips and pots, and if you need to deliver quests or AFK-drill or whatever, just switch to some WT/DA equips. With our unlimited Storage WT, easy-to-get WT equips and Store-More Permits being really cheap, this is easy to pull off.

Hope all that was useful.

Again, good luck!

Edit: I'd suggest, rather than reading guides, using the search function to look for inquiry threads such as this one, since there's where current end-game players usually help people.

LacomusManousos

LacomusManousos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSydney, NSW, Australia
  • IGN:N/A

Yo, I'm the fiancé she was talking about before. I would've been going under a different name to this, but for whatever reason that name is completely locked out from being used as the name of a character on the game, though I'm still considering having my username (both on the game and on this forum) changed to that name regardless if it's possible.

Finally got my account validated after waiting a while, but then a lot of stuff has come up so I haven't really had time to make any sort of appearance here.

Anyway, the problem with reading inquiry threads seemed to be that they have a lot of mixed information, as a lot of people were giving mixed opinions about the best way to configure a character, and it was difficult to tell how many, if any, of the people posting were actually people who play as Dragon characters themselves. This problem is technically not absent from this thread as well. The information in guides was obviously a lot less contradicting, but there would always be posts from years later stating they were grossly out of date.

Due to a lot of reasons, I'm still not entirely sure if me and my fiancé will be playing on the game anymore, but I figured I should work this out in case it happens. I definitely understand the reasoning for using a 1414 Build and then feeding all the bonus points into the Luck stat, since it prevents you from wasting points on stats that will only ever pull their wait during very specific farming situations, and in those cases you could have equipment catered to compensating for that.

My only real concern about this decision, assuming I went with a Dark Lord (which currently is my priority, because as I've mentioned I might be new to this game I'm not new to this sort of game and I don't believe I need to use a more beginner-friendly class in order to survive, and as I've mentioned I don't particularly have a lot of free time so I won't be using more than one character), does not putting all of my bonus points into Magic Attack really not end up compromising the damage output I could be capable of? Would focusing all of my equipment solely on buffing my Magic Attack really compensate for not using those bonus points on it? I don't recall this ever getting directly answered.

Also, good to know that healing spells don't actually work on SoH, because I did plan on using healing to contribute to being a tank. 

Paylette

Paylette

Game & Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTurning Salt into Sugar
  • IGN:Temmie
  • Class:Tem
  • Level:300

Yo, I'm the fiancé she was talking about before. I would've been going under a different name to this, but for whatever reason that name is completely locked out from being used as the name of a character on the game, though I'm still considering having my username (both on the game and on this forum) changed to that name regardless if it's possible.

Finally got my account validated after waiting a while, but then a lot of stuff has come up so I haven't really had time to make any sort of appearance here.

Anyway, the problem with reading inquiry threads seemed to be that they have a lot of mixed information, as a lot of people were giving mixed opinions about the best way to configure a character, and it was difficult to tell how many, if any, of the people posting were actually people who play as Dragon characters themselves. This problem is technically not absent from this thread as well. The information in guides was obviously a lot less contradicting, but there would always be posts from years later stating they were grossly out of date.

Due to a lot of reasons, I'm still not entirely sure if me and my fiancé will be playing on the game anymore, but I figured I should work this out in case it happens. I definitely understand the reasoning for using a 1414 Build and then feeding all the bonus points into the Luck stat, since it prevents you from wasting points on stats that will only ever pull their wait during very specific farming situations, and in those cases you could have equipment catered to compensating for that.

My only real concern about this decision, assuming I went with a Dark Lord (which currently is my priority, because as I've mentioned I might be new to this game I'm not new to this sort of game and I don't believe I need to use a more beginner-friendly class in order to survive, and as I've mentioned I don't particularly have a lot of free time so I won't be using more than one character), does not putting all of my bonus points into Magic Attack really not end up compromising the damage output I could be capable of? Would focusing all of my equipment solely on buffing my Magic Attack really compensate for not using those bonus points on it? I don't recall this ever getting directly answered.

Also, good to know that healing spells don't actually work on SoH, because I did plan on using healing to contribute to being a tank. 

I would listen to Paige on this one. She's a very skilled

mage on both sides, doing both PvP and PvE.

• Paige likes this

LacomusManousos

LacomusManousos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Didn't she also mention she's an item hoarder though? Not that there's a problem with anyone doing that, but putting all those points into WT and DL just so that you can carry things more reliably and farm easier seems like a complete waste to me if you have no intention of carrying around anything but the absolute essentials. I'm a 100% perfectionist in conventional RPGs and insist I collect every item, but in MMORPGs that sort of mentality goes away very quickly for me, so that's why I'm only really looking for information concerning that question involving putting points into LK instead of MA, since that seems like the most vital problem. I'm also pretty sure I'm going Dark Lord now, assuming I actually do play the game.

Paige

Paige

Tenter Lion Researcher

• Members
  • 1122 posts
  • IGN:

It really comes down to personal preference. Whatever stat you're lacking in, you can just compound on items. The reason why all of my mages are either 1441 or 1432 is because I don't really need the defensive stats as much since I can just get those defensive stats (HP and DP generally) from a really good shield and other equipment slots.

WT - Increases by 60 for every 4 points

DA - Increases by 1 for every 16 points

LK - Increases by 1 for every 16 points

HP - Increases by 30 for every 4 points

DP - Increases by 1 for every 1 point

HV - Increases by 1 for every 16 points

You get 4 bonus points every time you level up. Your growth points for each type depends on your character's build. So if you have a 1441 build, then you'll get 1 point per level for Power and Charm stats and 4 points per level for Magic and Sense stats. You'll get 60 additional WT for every level, and an additional 1 DA and LK each every 4 levels. (I think my math is correct... if it isn't, please let me know.)

So at level 400 you get 149 base MA (99 DA and 99 LK too), if you've been putting points into your MA then it should be 249. 100 MA (100 is the amount you get at level 400 for AC/MA/DA/LK/HV if you put all your points into them as you level up) isn't really a big enough difference to be honest. With end game equipment, you can compound 2 slots with 40-50 MA each to get that same extra amount (Really strong people usually have their equipment expanded to 4 slots, etc.). It's the same way for LK. It isn't much of a difference since you'll be continuously optimizing your equipment to fit the situation you're in.

The reason why mages put their points into MA is because it's easier and more straightforward that way. They can compound other stats into their equipment to balance things out if there is a need for it. The only downside to putting all your points into LK is that you'll have to focus on compounding your equipment with MA just to have enough damage in the early stages of the game. It's similar to being a Power Type but putting your points into HP instead of AP. It's viable and the HP is good (My Mercenary is pure HP), but you'll have to compound some AP into your items sooner or later to deal more damage. So yeah... it's all personal preference. I personally like the 4 in Sense since it helps with carrying items (less trips to the Item Girl/Storage) and with drilling as well (since you'll need 90 DA for perfect drilling, the more DA you have, the less you'll need from your equipment so it'll be easier to reach that cap--which is sort of important if you're questing, since you'll be wasting less time drilling).

On a Dark Lord... If you can survive having less WT than usual and having low LK early game (If you don't compound your items), then I guess 1414 Pure MA is pretty good.

hovado

hovado

Game Advisor

• Special Members
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • IGN:RedSonja, BattleCattle
  • Class:fox, buff
  • Level:400
WT - Increases by 60 for every 4 points

its 80 WT / 1 WT level

• Bongohead likes this

polar_standby2.gifTartarus_Info_Banner.pngCard_Battle_Logo.png

Bongohead

Bongohead

Tree Sap

• Members
  • 870 posts

Didn't she also mention she's an item hoarder though? Not that there's a problem with anyone doing that, but putting all those points into WT and DL just so that you can carry things more reliably and farm easier seems like a complete waste to me if you have no intention of carrying around anything but the absolute essentials. I'm a 100% perfectionist in conventional RPGs and insist I collect every item, but in MMORPGs that sort of mentality goes away very quickly for me, so that's why I'm only really looking for information concerning that question involving putting points into LK instead of MA, since that seems like the most vital problem. I'm also pretty sure I'm going Dark Lord now, assuming I actually do play the game.

I insisted on the only-combat-oriented-build because you mentioned this "perfectionism" of yours, since you'd be resourceful enough to compensate the lack of DA and WT with compounding or using other chars. Hoarding items is, as I said, pretty easy considering the things I mentioned about storage and how easy is to make mules and transferring ingame or via Auction House, specially if you're tidy (I for example have mules made each for specific kinds of items like stones/mature compounding items, weapons/shields/hats, accesories/capes/pets, event stuff and so on and it works wonders).

However, I do think cuteness is a huge feature in this game so having space to also carry fuses is good; but still you can just carry skins which don't use WT.

Also, more than 90 DA is useless (for a mage).

About the MA question, I'm pretty sure DLs are, among all mages, the ones that rely the least on MA, and are as far as I know, focused more on Dark Attribute and HP. Take this post as an example: as you can see, he's not pure MA and even if he were it's not much compared to what the equips provide (and if I remember correctly he's pure HP).

Anyway, I think you should just go ahead with whichever build and start actually playing the game since you're already way more informed than most of us when we started playing. I remember my first char was a Lion with bonus points all over AP, MA, DA and the like and I still got to 2nd job before I realised lol.

So yeah, good luck and hope you enjoy the game~  =)

LacomusManousos

LacomusManousos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I planned on replying to this sooner, but my internet access has become limited over the last few days due to my ISP screwing up, or my landlord screwing up, or something. We'll find out soon enough what it is, but the important thing is I'm more or less only able to use my PC online because I've gotten a form mobile data, which doesn't have a large amount of data, so I need to avoid needless usage. For obvious reasons, playing Trickster won't be an option until that problem gets sorted.

My fiancé and I are mostly considering jumping onto this game because I used to play it with my sister (we didn't go very far, and the game died not too long after from what I can tell), and my sister recently picked up the game again because me, her, and my fiancé, lost the main MMORPG we were playing together (White Knight Chronicles; the server went down) and we've been looking for a new one for a while. We don't consider this game an ideal replacement for a variety of reasons, but since my sister and I have a little bit of nostalgia for it we've been wanting to give it a go for now. I just don't have the time for multiple characters or to get far into a game and then feel the need to restart because I made X uninformed decision. I guess you could consider me looking into all this before I get started a part of my resourcefulness/perfectionism.

Anyway, probably will go with 1414 Build based on everything people have said, unless some last minute decisions come to me based off new information I put together from the system information you've given me and any answers I get from this point. There's still the whole matter of working out how my fiancé is going to want to have herself set up, but for the time being I'll ask a few more questions on my end. I'll keep them in a more simple format.

Here goes;

* What does HV do? I've been weighing the uses of the 3 parameters for Sense and Charm for a while now, but since I can't turn on the game with my internet in its current condition I can't really check in-game for this information.

* Out of MA and LK, which would you say is the easiest to get equipment to improve and compound on, both in terms of early on in the game and also in the later parts. Deciding between which of these stats to pour all my bonus points into his essentially the only dilemma on my own end now. I understand LK is basically your magic accuracy, so if it's too low then having a really high MA might not mean anything. Even if equipment eclipses what your stat type can achieve, it's still good to know for the sake of making a balanced character. Just trying to make sure going 1414 Build won't end up crippling me down the line due to really low LK compared to what I could've had with a different Build.

* Do stats have a cap? I had an additional question I planned to ask, but all the ways of wording it were complicated and I think this is the easiest way to get the answer I'm looking for.

CaptivAtE

CaptivAtE

Game Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationEverywhere
  • IGN:Lifesprinkler
  • Class:Dorakun!
  • Level:1

As a former player, I might not hold as much weight compared to current players, but as far as I know the mechanics of the game hasn't changed one bit since I stopped playing. Now then, after reading through the essays of everything that was written I shall hand my dime into this thread.

"I've decided to ask this question before creating my character (though I got the 1019 error for the name I actually wanted, lol), because after a bit of browsing it's become apparent to me that practically every Class guide for this game is considered out of date. I'm planning on playing a Dragon, and I'm most likely going to pool all of my bonus points into MA (though if I find a 'good' argument to do it in LK instead, I'll consider it, so if you have one lay it on me).

Pure MA is fine. It's standard. You honestly can't go wrong with Pure MA in most cases with how the build graph is set up.

So the big question apart from the MA/LK/HP bonus point recommendation thing is this; 1441 vs. 1432. I've seen a damn lot of contradicting information about which one is more recommended than the other. I also saw people recommending 1414, but it seems that this is exclusively for very specific PvP builds, and I have no interest in playing PvP in this game (I'm a chess player and fighting game player, and a long time RPG player as well, but to date I've never found a single MMORPG with a PvP system that I could acknowledge as "balanced"), so just assume I don't care about PvP at all unless I find a very good reason to consider it balanced, and given how it sounds like certain Classes/Builds can just plain "No Sell" other Classes/Builds without getting a fluke, I certainly don't consider it balanced from all I've read and seen.
1441 vs 1432 vs 1414 (vs 4411)
Okay, alright. Each build carries a different layer of weight. This is especially prominent in early game which is approximately level 1-130 for unfunded players that are on game for the first time. By approximately level 131+ the meta of the game shifts into how lucky you are with your equipment so builds doesn't play as huge a role in most cases outside of having stats into sense.

A build that's essentially the "glass-cannon". Honestly, it's no big deal in open areas most of the time. Only in crowded locations where you're likely to be hit by multiple mobs at the same time are you prone to dying if you haven't compounded any hp stuff into your gear. By preference I prefer this build since I can carry an unreasonable amount of mp potions and quest items (if I ever do them again). Nothing is more annoying than end game quest items weighing a mountain to me.

Pro:
Higher base WT stat
[Something that can only be remedied by pumping points into it directly or using WT based equipment which costs a ton last I recall. WT based magic equipment don't have very high magic stats either]
Higher base LK stat
[Since it affects magic accuracy, block, and crit rate this is good.]

Con:
Low HP stat
[You hit 0 HP faster, then you die. Simple]
Low HV
[Your physical evasion stat is low, so you get hit then die. Simple]
Low DP
[You're paper. What else is there to say?]

This build kind of remedies the paper issue of 1441. That's about it. It's a standard build for starters that doesn't lean in the extremities of end game.

Pro:
Your WT isn't completely shot.
Your survival based stats (charm) isn't completely shot.

Con:
If I had to name something, it'd be the awkward stat gains upon level up before pumping your bonus points anywhere. That's more of my own personal con though since I prefer all my numbers to be even.

Like you studied. It's a really tanky build. I personally don't like it in cases outside of pvp. It's not quest efficient unless I'm using WT boost equipment which shoots at my own stats. But I have used it on both sides of the game. For tougher boss-like quest enemies it does help with survival since I could just stand there and attack and only heal when needed.

Pro:
You don't die as easily.
You can kind of evade better too.
Cure scales on % healing. So more HP means a higher return.

Con:
You'll walk a lot from being overweight.
You can't take a mountain of mp items around.

I tried this build once. It was a laugh.

Pro:
Obscene amount of damage for basic skill "Magical Soul"

Con:
Not good for anything else really.

Anyway, back on topic. I want the answer I'm giving to take into consideration that while I'm basically "new" to this game, I'm not new to RPGs, and also take into consideration that I probably won't be funding my character much, or at all, through MyShop. I simply don't have the money. So basically, which stat setup would be recommended for a Dragon whose planning on either playing a Dark Lord or a Priest; I honestly haven't completely settled on one or the other (I planned Dark Lord initially since I want to focus on high level damage spells, but I'm also considering Priest to avoid being a complete Glass Cannon). I would say assume I'll prioritize Dark Lord over Priest if I can find a set-up for it that won't result in me being squashed by boss fights.

Outside of the difficulty curve from squishy a character is, the difference is essentially like this:
Hitting exceptionally hard with single target skills (Dark Lord)
Hitting moderately hard with multile target skills (Priest)

If there's ever a grind, most of the game relies on AoE for it. Single target is nice, but kind of becomes limited to bossing and pvp. Although if you make a high speed build, grinding with single target skills isn't that bad.

So yeah, assume the main focus of the question is the 1441/1432/1414 thing, but I'm also considering things like which stat will get all my points, which 3rd Job I'll go to, etc. Cheers in advance. I don't really have the time to play for dozens of hours only to find out I need to restart because I made an uninformed decision in the first 5 minutes of gameplay.

So essentially you want to know 1441/1432/1414 and BP. For a PvM player I'm all for using 1441 or 1432 pure MA or pure HP.
Pure MA is better since it be scaled upward on a buff.
Pure HP is just a preference for me whom doesn't like comping HP gears.

As for LK stat. I'll be honest, once you have 300-400 LK, you'll rarely ever miss on targets up to lv350 or so. That's a fairly low value for this server too. If it was the official server, getting much luck with high end MA stats was an issue, but here it's like common.

I've rather consistently played mages in most MMORPGs I've been on, and solo'ed with them effectively as well, so if the only incentive to have 1432 instead of 1441 is for a Dark Lord in the hands of a player who can't avoid melee enemies effectively, then I would imagine I should just go with 1441. I'm essentially looking to find out if there's a good reason to want that extra HP beyond "learning curve with a Dark Lord", since it sounds like Priest has the spells to make 1432 pointless and should just go 1441, but, like I said, I'm undecided between Dark Lord and Priest right now so I might not commit to either until the time comes to decide, although, like I said, I am leaning more towards Dark Lord because I want high damage output and my fiancé is more into healing/supporting roles than I am."

The extra hp is only good for 2 things.
1. A hard hitting enemy and surviving.
2. Scaling from Cure that's based on percentages.

Ha.... The questions don't end yet do they?

Here's his reply:

"Interesting first response. Wasn't exactly expecting to get someone suggesting 1414 after I made a point that I have no intention of playing PvP, since the only argument for it I've found on the forums so far was in a PvP Build guide.

I was under the impression that Priest has spells that make having a high HP virtually redundant, so it's unexpected to see you not only not recommending 1441 or 1432, but actually recommending I go all the way into "Charm" 4 territory. I get the concept. More or less you're saying that it's better to have a high HP/Defense than it is to have a high Drilling/Weight. Basically you use your bonus points solely on the only "combat" stat that "Sense" offers; Luck.

Bongo isn't wrong nor is your understanding on the concept. If I had to interject though, WT I personally feel is indirectly related to your combat performance since it gives you option of carrying more mp potions. This affects longer drawn out battles or in more normal cases the time wasted having to restock often.

I've got a few inquiries, since this is not the recommendation I was expecting to get (I hadn't ruled it out, but I figured it'd be the least likely of the 3 builds). Firstly, is having Drilling and Weight 'that' low really not crippling? I would've thought low Drilling could make farming a painfully slow or luck-based process that could put me off the game, and in general not being able to hold a lot of equipment is a royal thorn in the side in a lot of games too, though, admittedly, my practical experience with this game is limited to a couple of very basic "test runs" I did with a few "create and then delete" characters, really only messing around with the first few areas, so I don't know how irritating low Drilling/Weight is in practice, only in theory.

Low WT is crippling for a player that isn't going to get Myshop for WT gear or invest a large amount of time to farm for WT gear. Low DA will remain low in early game no matter what you do so that's not really an issue. As someone said above, 90DA is all you need at most which is easily obtainable by about level 80-90.

Next on my thought list is the decision to pump all the bonus points into Luck instead of Magic Attack. I understand the premise for doing it (not have a high Drilling or Weight while still having the important high Luck stat). However, isn't it basically a staple to pour a lot of bonus points into Magic Attack? I would imagine raw damage is a lot more important than getting critical hits, and with such high HP/Defense, a high block seems pointless. The idea you're suggesting definitely makes sense in theory, but does it mean that not putting all those points into Magic Attack doesn't actually have a real impact on your damage potential? Is that what you were saying when you said Gear > Stats in the mid and endgame? I've heard that Dark Lords hit into the 100K damage area eventually, so does not pooling your bonus points into Magic Attack really have no contribution to that?

Think of it like this. If you go with 1414 (essentially all combat stats) and you're only missing only LK stat. You pump all points into LK to get the LK stat raised and everything is raised. Nothing else loss other than WT, but you're set for most situations.

Raw damage is certainly important, but LK stat offers 3 things to a mage. Critical hits, Block, and Magic accuracy. The issue of low LK is Magic Accuracy. That's why Bongo goes with this option. Another point here is that by consensus dark magic tends to have lower base accuracy as where light magic has higher base accuracy. Thus, LK is essential regardless.

For mid to end game, equipment takes higher priority of base stats since equipment can offset any issues you have with your build. So don't treat equipment only as optimizing only one stat if you have a fatal flaw in your build.

You mentioned you might elaborate, so I'm guessing some of that elaboration involved answering some of these questions. I'm just a real perfectionist when it comes to the details, so didn't want to miss anything. Having such a high HP/Defense sounded like it was pointless if you could actually handle your character, or once you had access to certain equipment, so sacrificing pooled bonus points in Magic Attack for it sounded like a strange decision. Again, as the title suggests, all of my knowledge of this game comes from seemingly out of date guides, so that's why I'm trying to get the information straight from 'current' people with experience with decent mage builds. Like I said, I'm also slightly uncertain about which of those two 3rd Jobs I'll be upgrading into, so I'd like to set my basic stats with either as a viable outcome. I just wasn't expecting you to suggest 1414 for both of them."

High HP/Defense isn't pointless end game, but those are issues that are easily remedied with equipment by mid-game. As for basic graphs for either promotions to Dark Lord or Priest. Honestly speaking, 1441, 1432, and 1414 all work out for both classes. You'll start to feel that feeling once you're around level 150... probably.

The essay doesn't end does it?

Well, if it makes you feel better I have every mage class. I would think I have an idea of what I'm talking about. Also, I'm sorry my guide isn't 100% up to date? I figured with the addition of several skills that doesn't make end game PvM gamebreaking it's just not as important to add in information? Maybe I should just rewrite the entire guide when I have time one of these days.

It's an option yes, but similarly to Paige, I will advocate for the idea of More WT = More pots = Less trips to restock = Virtually more MP on hand. Like seriously, if you don't have sprints to run really fast, the restock trips just feel horrible....

It affects most of the skills. It's only for 2 skills in paricular that Dark Attribute compounding (Something that can expensive) makes it worth it. As far as the official server that shut down, more people were prone to using MA > Dark attribute because Dark attribute was difficult to come across in the first place. But here, Dark attribute is more widely available, but mainly in terms of end game. So Pure MA is still not a bad choice.

SoH is still OP in most of PvM content with the exception of pointless endgame things for bragging rights.

I think I'm almost done.

Even if it's absolute essentials, potions take a huge chunk of your WT. Seriously, they do. MP cost for Dark Lords is nothing to scoff at. They eat a truck ton of mp really fast.

That aside, if you go with 1 or 2 in Sense then compensating bonus points into LK works out just fine. High MA can be fixed with equipment, particularly your rod (if you don't break it) with refinement.

I thought I was done....

It really comes down to personal preference. Whatever stat you're lacking in, you can just compound on items. The reason why all of my mages are either 1441 or 1432 is because I don't really need the defensive stats as much since I can just get those defensive stats (HP and DP generally) from a really good shield and other equipment slots.

On a Dark Lord... If you can survive having less WT than usual and having low LK early game (If you don't compound your items), then I guess 1414 Pure MA is pretty good.

What Paige says is essentially the same logic I have.

I can see it! I can see the end!

Anyway, probably will go with 1414 Build based on everything people have said, unless some last minute decisions come to me based off new information I put together from the system information you've given me and any answers I get from this point. There's still the whole matter of working out how my fiancé is going to want to have herself set up, but for the time being I'll ask a few more questions on my end. I'll keep them in a more simple format.

Here goes;

* What does HV do? I've been weighing the uses of the 3 parameters for Sense and Charm for a while now, but since I can't turn on the game with my internet in its current condition I can't really check in-game for this information.

HV on mage on affects your physical evasion. Not an ideal stat to specifically build on, but nice to have around if your base graph and/or equipment gives it to you.

* Out of MA and LK, which would you say is the easiest to get equipment to improve and compound on, both in terms of early on in the game and also in the later parts. Deciding between which of these stats to pour all my bonus points into his essentially the only dilemma on my own end now. I understand LK is basically your magic accuracy, so if it's too low then having a really high MA might not mean anything. Even if equipment eclipses what your stat type can achieve, it's still good to know for the sake of making a balanced character. Just trying to make sure going 1414 Build won't end up crippling me down the line due to really low LK compared to what I could've had with a different Build.

Early game, both are about the same. Mid-End game, MA is easier but only due to refinement. You'll find yourself compounding LK onto your staff anyway until you get an endgame staff and most equipment that have MA pretty much comes with LK so you're not really missing too much Mid-End game. Believe me, PvM LK for casual players doesn't need to be as high as one might think.

* Do stats have a cap? I had an additional question I planned to ask, but all the ways of wording it were complicated and I think this is the easiest way to get the answer I'm looking for.

As far overall numerical value goes, no.

As far as equipment stats goes, yes. The cap is 32k-ish for each stat on each piece of equipment.

As far as caps for evasion in PvM, kind of yes and no. It's like 99.9% evasion or so is the cap. There's no 100%. How do I know? I went afk with 1000HV in a highly dense area then came back hours later to see I lost 4HP.

As far as caps for magical accuracy goes, yes. It's 100% once you have enough luck for a specific monster. Thus any excess isn't going to help with your damage or survival.

And so... there's my dime. And a penny.

• Bongohead and Paylette like this

50752312-957b-4a95-88af-402321aa69e1_zps

iRegret

iRegret

Pokédex

• Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationJust a wanderer
  • IGN:iRegret
  • Class:all 8
  • Level:a-z

its 80 WT / 1 WT level

wt decreases as you level up * has 15+ wt chars*

I don’t think you want to get rich you don’t really want it
you ain’t really trying to get rich you don’t really want it
I don’t think you wan wan wan get rich
I don’t think you wan wan wan get rich

Bongohead

Bongohead

Tree Sap

• Members
  • 870 posts

* has 15+ wt chars*

*I think that makes it worse* :P

hovado

hovado

Game Advisor

• Special Members
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • IGN:RedSonja, BattleCattle
  • Class:fox, buff
  • Level:400

wt decreases as you level up * has 15+ wt chars*

i think it happens only when your base WT > 32,767

polar_standby2.gifTartarus_Info_Banner.pngCard_Battle_Logo.png

Flannel

Flannel

Game Advisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • IGN:Flannel
  • Class:Wizard

Good luck!

Can I just say, this is actually a terrible recommendation.

All magic classes need high LK in order to have any accuracy what-so-ever. Even your starter skills will suffer. Even if you do pure LK or disperse it between two stats, you're still heavily sacrificing accuracy and actual magic damage. Unlike Power-types, it's extremely recommended to be pure MA, because your MA scales only 1 point every 8 (or 16? i dont 100% remember) points, whereas AP gets 16 points every 4 I believe. Frankly, it's easier to find things that can be compounded for LK versus MA. (Especially if you participate in events)

At the very least, 1423 is the LOWEST your Sense-affiliation should be, and you should undoubtedly go pure MA, regardless of build.

If you go Dark Lord, especially, the extra natural LK is extremely useful because dark magic is horribly inaccurate otherwise. The best way to do an HP-friendly newbie Dark Lord is to do 1423, allot purely to MA, comp for LK where you can't comp MA, and comp HP where you can't comp MA or LK. Then take Magician's Dark Shield so you can save yourself a bit easier.

If you go Priest, you don't need quite as much LK, but it's still a huge necessity for magic because it's accuracy is still very bad, especially for multi-hitting spells. 1441 is good even for a beginner, because Shield of Heaven is based on your MA. Again, pure MA is really the only advisable build unless you want to fall very short of your fellow mages and even be massively outclassed by other classes.

If you go Wizard, how much LK you need really depends on what elements you take. Water/Electric is kinda mid-tier on accuracy, while also being relatively on the more powerful side (Water boosts Electric, tho Electric/Fire is the most powerful), but regardless of what elements you take, you NEED high MA and LK to do anything well.

Basically, no matter what, your compound slots should be focused on MA, then LK, then HP. Always comp MA where you can, comp LK where you can't comp MA, and comp HP where you can't comp MA or LK. HP is arguably way more helpful than DP is, because HP comps better and formulates better.

The recommended builds are either 1423, 1432, or 1441. 1414 is simply setting yourself up for failure unless if you have the means to gear yourself up with good LK boosters. Pure MA is extremely recommended, because you're otherwise sacrificing a precious resource that ultimately modifies your actual damage. (As well as the effects of Mist of Mana, as that's directly tied to your MA.)

3:1 LK:MA or LK:HP is EXTREMELY bad, ESPECIALLY LK:HP, because you're basically setting yourself up to be weaker than someone who's probably not even level 200. Even you comp everything with MA, max out the natural MA parameter on the item, and reinforce everything that can be reinforced for MA to lv11, you're still going to be beaten out by people vastly lower level than you. Even if you just use this character as means to get up good equipment for another character, you're wasting time spent on a junker that could instead be spent on a character actually worth it's mettle.

tldr: never, ever, EVER divide your level up points between LK and HP because you're going to be garbage. Honestly, don't divide them in general, because MA isn't particularly easy to come by, especially before level 200.

Become the wings of rebellion, that breaketh thy chains of captivity.