#1 Charm 1st Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
  • IGN:Orange
  • Class:PvP Guru
  • Level:Enough
Like any other businesses, new customers are not obtained unless advertisement is used. We have not seen many new players entering the game as 1. It is not a famous game, and 2. It is not advertised.

Advertisement need not be expensive like it used to be. It can be pretty cheap in fact. From asking gaming forums to review the game, or asking YouTubers with a small following to make a video of the game. Sadly we live in a world where nothing is free, however with little money you could convince influential YouTubers to make a positive review of the game.

Other means of obtaining new members (free but less efficient) would be to hold events where if you start a new account or refer the game to other people, or share the Facebook page you get a little reward.

If we are thinking of the long term of this game, we need new members. Although some members quit the game, a lot are coming back. However, it is not very attractive to come back to a game with less players. Let's try to keep this going!

Stealing fire from Mt. Olympus like its no big deal.

~Prometheus                              

Keyos

Keyos

Game Moderator & Advisor

• Moderators
  • 404 posts
  • IGN:[Mod]Keyos
  • Class:Duelist Bunny
  • Level:400
1) The idea of giving rewards when you make new account can be abused so fast if it becomes a thing ( there's a person with 60+ different accounts.)
2) Apparently some people thinks trickster online is dead and never bothered to google Trickster Online ever again (it's literally on the 1st search for google...)
3) In my opinion you can't really make a lets play series on TO for too long , the game in general is just quest, quest ,more quest til you get a guardian and maybe do harkon / tartaurus dungeon or maybe pvp (which is unbalanced)
4) It's not easy to just pay random youtuber to play a game and tell them to review like the game is good.
Spoiler

MrSlaughter

MrSlaughter

#1 Charm 1st Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
1) if you give out items that higher level need such as elixirs and compound stones, yes it will be abused. If you give specials that enhance lower level (1-220) gaming experience then no, it won't be abused.

That's not even what I was referring to. My idea is to make accounts Facebook verifiable on the website, where players that create new accounts state "I have been referred to by .....". That person can get a little something. This pushes players to invite new members.

2) I don't believe that is true. rTO Facebook page got nearly 9000 likes. That's like double what eTO had.
If it is however true, reason more to advertise. Let people know it's back.

3) instead of being negative, go suggest higher level content, extra in game activities players can do. (And anyways, almost all mmorpgs are grind/quest and boss hunting). As a PvP veteran, I can testify that pvp is unbalanced, that doesn't change the fact that experienced players like flexing their new stats there. PvP should also be advertised because that is the only "higher level content" that has motivated me and most of my friends to continue the game.

4) It has been done before, like 6 years ago a gaming channel reviewed trickster. That is how I actually got to know the game. Trickster is a great game, and that's why almost everyone who knows it, plays it. The reason it died in the first place is because it was not advertised. The reason it came back alive is because it is a good game.
  • Keyos likes this

~Prometheus                              

Keyos

Keyos

Game Moderator & Advisor

• Moderators
  • 404 posts
  • IGN:[Mod]Keyos
  • Class:Duelist Bunny
Oh I've seen random comments on trickster videos about "is trickster still alive questions" from time to time. And well Paula will be coming out sooner or later so that would definitely hype people.
As far as I know the game files are still mostly hard coded so some stuff is still limited so kinda hard to add new stuff to the game for now.
Spoiler

Deity

Deity

Oops Wharf Explorer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • IGN:God
  • Class:AP/AC/AIR KING

As a programmer, I take "hard coded" really as an excuse. If they are understaffed, I beseech them to hire more {capable, abled} people (a full-timer, at least) given that up-keeping the server does not cost that much. Being hard coded is not an excuse for new features to be added, as it has, and is possible for them to be added. Hard coded may only be an excuse if they're trying to break the game, altering features that go against its original intention, which they have and should not be doing.

Silmeria

Silmeria

Captain Skull's Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • IGN:LinaInverse
  • Class:Witch
As someone who worked in marketing/advertising, the only thing I can intelligently add to this is do not take this feat too lightly. Advertising can go horribly wrong, and, if done poorly, it can actually decrease adoption instead of increase. If no one is qualified to make smart calls on this, even well-intentioned efforts can go very poorly.

Not to necessarily discourage you, but just to urge caution. If you are untrained you may do far more harm than good.
  • Keyos likes this

talestyrone

talestyrone

Rose Garden Explorer

• Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationPlaying Trickster
  • IGN:AgilityCarrier
  • Class:Cat
  • Level:???

What I'd like to be seen (that is used in RuneScape private servers) is a voting initiative service.

Where voting on a toplist gives the players rewards.

Rewards would not allowed to be traded or used in auction house.

Ranging from galder coupons to pet skins and equipment skins that are similar to the monthly pets that we have on the myshop, maybe it could be that if the player votes everyday for the month, that player would get the pet of the month.

I think the monthly reward would be great at this time considering game patches are going to be at the start or end of the months.

Posted Image

Posted ImageBLOOD FLOWERPosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

MrSlaughter

MrSlaughter

#1 Charm 1st Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

As someone who worked in marketing/advertising, the only thing I can intelligently add to this is do not take this feat too lightly. Advertising can go horribly wrong, and, if done poorly, it can actually decrease adoption instead of increase. If no one is qualified to make smart calls on this, even well-intentioned efforts can go very poorly.
Not to necessarily discourage you, but just to urge caution. If you are untrained you may do far more harm than good.

I have learned in my marketing classes that, no advertisement is negative advertisement. This is in theory obviously wrong. In the case of Trickster ? I would have to agree with that statement. Even if you have the most famous gamer "pewdiepie" review the game and say it's a bad game. Just the fact that all these new gamers will be aware of the game, it will instantly boost the amount of new players.

Of course if Trickster is advertised via other channels such as blogs, you have to make sure it looks some what professional and not "low budget game"

~Prometheus                              

MrSlaughter

MrSlaughter

#1 Charm 1st Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
Is this going to be even considered by the GM? Will the admin forward the message?

~Prometheus                              

Silmeria

Silmeria

Captain Skull's Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • IGN:LinaInverse
  • Class:Witch

I have learned in my marketing classes that, no advertisement is negative advertisement. This is in theory obviously wrong. In the case of Trickster ? I would have to agree with that statement. Even if you have the most famous gamer "pewdiepie" review the game and say it's a bad game. Just the fact that all these new gamers will be aware of the game, it will instantly boost the amount of new players.
Of course if Trickster is advertised via other channels such as blogs, you have to make sure it looks some what professional and not "low budget game"

Sadly if you learned no advertising is bad advertising you are highly misinformed. If you legitimately have interest in it, may I suggest you read "Ogilvy on Advertising"? It's an amazing introduction to some advertising basics.

Suffice to say I'd be happy to chat in-depth about it, but I am not certain this thread is the proper place to do so. Professional advertising is so very different than the academics of it :). Advertising is extremely fascinating! :)

Now on-topic, this has certainly been brought up before, and I do not believe it has ever received "official" input. There could be specific reasons for that, or just a general lack of drive to advertise. Either way, it's hard to know their stance in this case.

MrSlaughter

MrSlaughter

#1 Charm 1st Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
I study Economics and we just touched he basics of marketing. I do find it interesting but it is not something I would educate myself on in my free time xd.

I honestly believe that if nothing is done regarding the marketing of this game, it will not last much longer. The GM needs to be aware of this. It can be simply and cheaply done, but it just has to be done.

~Prometheus                              

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Advertisement, members, newby, event