kitsko

kitsko

Coral Beach Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationChile
  • IGN:Ulmaria

No. We are looking for new login screens, not one we already have.

Can we submit works that participated in eTO contests or do they have to be new works altogether?

[Reserved]

Aran

Aran

Head Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4282 posts
  • IGN:Arantir
  • Class:Thief Master

Please be as original as possible.

If you used bits of readily available Trickster images, or your own previous works, do rearrange or piece them together in a new/different way so as not to be the same/similar as the original ones. 

It's better to make completely new things.

But at the same time, we want cuteness and beauty; we really want nice login screens, nothing trollish, nothing incomplete or slapdash.

Some of us may not be able to draw/sketch cute/beautiful images, so if you took commonly available Trickster images which are beautiful, and you piece them together beautifully, we will consider them for acceptance.

Poorly done works, even if original, may not get accepted.

The best would be original work, cute, beautiful, made with love and care.

Zen

Zen

FB Admin & General Moderator

• Moderators
  • 732 posts
  • LocationCaballa Island
  • IGN:[Mod]Zen
  • Class:Gladiator
  • Level:325

When you are uploading something and it contains something that is not yours (unless it is just a sprite or one of the "display images" when you right click an item), PLEASE add references to where the photo(s) is/are from. 

You should not be using something that isn't a Trickster-image (i.e. custom work from another user), anyways.

But if you do add something in of your own from a previous time (i.e. a character you drew previously), you must cite it, if it was uploaded elsewhere. This is to avoid "self-plagiarism", which yes, is a thing.. which is weird. But it also helps us out!  

Thanks,

- Zen.  

Nastina

Nastina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPhantom School
  • IGN:Nastina
  • Class:Duelist
  • Level:19x

IGN:  Nastina

2nd entry

atu6vm.jpg

• Kheops, kitsko, Zen and 11 others like this

kitsko

kitsko

Coral Beach Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationChile

Please be as original as possible.

If you used bits of readily available Trickster images, or your own previous works, do rearrange or piece them together in a new/different way so as not to be the same/similar as the original ones. 

It's better to make completely new things.

But at the same time, we want cuteness and beauty; we really want nice login screens, nothing trollish, nothing incomplete or slapdash.

Some of us may not be able to draw/sketch cute/beautiful images, so if you took commonly available Trickster images which are beautiful, and you piece them together beautifully, we will consider them for acceptance.

Poorly done works, even if original, may not get accepted.

The best would be original work, cute, beautiful, made with love and care.

Also, curious, why the difference with the prizes? It was 50k for the winners and 5k for accepted entries last time. Given as winners and participants alike give you permission to use our artworks for commercial use (profit) not only on this client but outside of it I felt it was a decent sum. Now it's not too shabby but why decrease it?

theblahmonster

theblahmonster

Coral Beach Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • IGN:Eriz

Reserved!

Paylette

Paylette

Rose Garden Explorer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationTurning Salt into Sugar
  • IGN:Temmie
  • Class:Tem
  • Level:300

Also, curious, why the difference with the prizes? It was 50k for the winners and 5k for accepted entries last time. Given as winners and participants alike give you permission to use our artworks for commercial use (profit) not only on this client but outside of it I felt it was a decent sum. Now it's not too shabby but why decrease it?

If you do not like the prizes, you're more than welcome

not to participate. We are in no way using your screens

for profit. If anything, we are allowing to share your

creativity and are giving you cash points for it.

I really don't see why it matters if we increase or decrease

prize points, it's still a lot better than you having to spend

your own money.

kitsko

kitsko

Coral Beach Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationChile

your own money.

Way to reply nicely moderator, thanks for that. I never said I didn't like the prizes, in fact I mentioned the opposite. Like stated in the first line of my post, it was mere curiosity.

And it does matter, spending hours/days on a drawing for prizes that won't be worth it (say, compared to spending that time working) isn't the best idea. I for one, don't put money on the game so points from contests are a good plus, and if you'll go decreasing the prizes for the same kind of contest I'll want to know why. Isn't it my right to ask? Or are we forbidden from questioning since we're getting "free stuff"?

IMOGEN

IMOGEN

Selfie Master 2016 & GM Winner #3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • IGN:CAESAR

your own money.

Hi. As someone who works professionally as an artist and art director (for games, no less) I can't help but comment on this issue.

Winning entries DO de-facto legally count as commercial work because it's essentially an art asset or illustration for a commercial product. This is the rTO equivalent of, say, an editorial illustration for an NY Times article. A reader purchases an issue of the NY times for the news and writing, and as a bonus they get to enjoy some accompanying artwork - however, the reader is nearly never buying the issue for the art itself. Regardless, the editors at the NY Times still must pay an illustrator professional rates for this extra decoration because it is part of a product that is generating commercial revenue. Not caring too much for the legality of this contest & Playtrickster, it still helps the admins' reputations if they abide by codes of honor in the professional art world.  :P

The rule for buying commercial art (or getting art via contests) goes that if the client wants better work then they always pay the artist more - so it stands that if the GM and Aran want better quality work, then they should raise the rewards. Better rewards/payment nearly always means better work from the artist, since there's more incentive. Okay that's basic common sense - BUT, since no actual money is involved and the GM can give MS points with little extra effort on their part, they can only gain (better, more quality entries) if they raise the reward.

On the other hand, if one feels that 30k MS is not enough incentive to draw something impressive or at all, then by all means stay with that belief. If you're a cynic like me ^__^ just draw something with the amount of effort you see fitting for 30k MS. I obviously won't put the same amount of effort in this as something I'd draw for a professional job, but Trickster is a game I enjoy and I'd love to contribute to it & the community on my own free time. That DEFINITELY means I won't muddle through an entry because the reward was lowered from 50k previously to 30k, it only adjusts my perspective on x time I'm willing to spend on something for x reward.

Just my two cents  :D Sorry if you guys know some of this already, but this was so pertinent to my day-to-day work that I accidentally went ALL OUT lol.

• Neven, GerbilDude, kitsko and 4 others like this

IGN: CAESAR / ZARATHUSTRA / LOVECRAFT / PIETA / GIANNI 

asnoobasme

asnoobasme

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationMy place is placeless, my trace is traceless. No body no soul I am from the soul of souls
  • IGN:Sasha
  • Class:sheep
  • Level:1

i see so many talented people. but i am a potato.

• LuckyFox likes this

She's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire.                        charmander_gif_by_dragon93_scales.gif

Aran

Aran

Head Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4282 posts

So far, from the previous login screens, we have used only a few of them, and those that we have used, we have used them only once each. 50k MS points for something we use only once is a generous amount. For this time around, we have reduced the points to 30K; that is the amount we feel is reasonable. If you feel this does not compensate for the time you expend on creating your work, then do not participate. We are not rewarding you based on time spent making the item; it is based on the perceived look of your work in our eyes.

Aran

Aran

Head Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4282 posts

Just a note: If events/contests such as this become too complicated to hold because you guys are making this into a contractual commercial transaction equivalent to big businesses and big organisations, we shall not conduct such events anymore. Players making events in this server too difficult to hold is the reason why events are cancelled or not held at all.

• Zen and Ghaspar like this

IMOGEN

IMOGEN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

So far, from the previous login screens, we have used only a few of them, and those that we have used, we have used them only once each. 50k MS points for something we use only once is a generous amount. For this time around, we have reduced the points to 30K; that is the amount we feel is reasonable. If you feel this does not compensate for the time you expend on creating your work, then do not participate. We are not rewarding you based on time spent making the item; it is based on the perceived look of your work in our eyes.

I won't argue with the admins' decisions. 50k MS or 30k MS is all good to me  :D

EDIT: but I do want to add that for work to look better in your eyes it requires more time spent for the artist, which can be best brought out by more $$ incentive. ;)

Just a note: If events/contests such as this become too complicated to hold because you guys are making this into a contractual commercial transaction equivalent to big businesses and big organisations, we shall not conduct such events anymore. Players making events in this server too difficult to hold is the reason why events are cancelled or not held at all.

There was definitely never any need to add contracts into simple player events. Admins should just treat participating artists of their community with a certain degree of respect for their contributions, as any client either commercial or private should.

And if something like my post causes any raucous annoyance to the admins then I'll gladly stop arguing if it means that the event can continue without complications and other players can still participate. I wouldn't want to penalize their enthusiasm.

• Sophonax likes this

kitsko

kitsko

Coral Beach Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationChile

Thanks for the heads up.

I'd say your lack of knowledge and management of such events are what's making them hard to hold.

But still, it's nice we have this sort of event in the private server. It's always nice that you are allowing us to share our creativity and are given cash points for it.  :)

• Neven, Nariann, GerbilDude and 3 others like this

asnoobasme

asnoobasme

Mad Ray's Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationMy place is placeless, my trace is traceless. No body no soul I am from the soul of souls
  • IGN:Sasha
  • Class:sheep
  • Level:1

the problem of this event is never about the price or reward. creativity and the arts are priceless. it is about the transfer of ownership of an original artwork to the server. if players do not mind getting their work branded under a different name, they can willingly contribute to the server. if you are not willing to contribute, then dont participate, simple as that.

the fairness of the competition can never be determined, dont expect the quality of your work to be assessed by professional judges, aran will probably assessed the results based on opinions of other mods which may have some bias, Hence, winning or losing doesnt mean anything. if you have talent and dont mind showing it, go ahead and unleash the kraken. :D

She's mad but she's magic, there's no lie in her fire.                        charmander_gif_by_dragon93_scales.gif

Aran

Aran

Head Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4282 posts

There was definitely never any need to add contracts into simple player events. Admins should just treat participating artists of their community with a certain degree of respect for their contributions, as any client either commercial or private should.

I believe we have always treated participating artists with respect. And those who participate should also respect us and our requirement. 

Aran

Aran

Head Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4282 posts

I'd say your lack of knowledge and management of such events are what's making them hard to hold.

And you know better than us?

Aran

Aran

Head Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4282 posts

the problem of this event is never about the price or reward. creativity and the arts are priceless. it is about the transfer of ownership of an original artwork to the server. if players do not mind getting their work branded under a different name, they can willingly contribute to the server. if you are not willing to contribute, then dont participate, simple as that.

the fairness of the competition can never be determined, dont expect the quality of your work to be assessed by professional judges, aran will probably assessed the results based on opinions of other mods which may have some bias, Hence, winning or losing doesnt mean anything. if you have talent and dont mind showing it, go ahead and unleash the kraken. :D

To us, it simply means we can use your work as our login screen and if GM so wishes, he can use your login screen on his Thai server as well. That's all that we mean. We do not want someone to stop us from using the login screen after the event and simply says he submitted the work "only for the contest, now it is still mine, I don't want you guys to use it." We are rather straightforward in our thinking. 

Alwyna

Alwyna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMegalopolis
  • IGN:Alwyna
  • Level:186

IGN: Alwyna

wuo6l4.jpg

• kitsko, Melting, Tathagata and 3 others like this

IMOGEN

IMOGEN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

And you know better than us?

I can't say I know more than you and GM Wan on running a server event, but I deal with both buying art and selling art as my primary means of income. The fact that most of us here are artists who have dealt with at least a private client (commissioner) in the past means that we have experience in anticipating what the buyer wants and can provide insight on how a new buyer can get what they want.

(edited and split into 2 posts for length - horrible, terrifying length)

• Sophonax and kitsko like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: login, screen, contest, 2016